In your opinion, what makes a question spam?

I've been seeing a lot of references to spam questions as we talk about how to make Answers better. So what makes a question spam?

I've been accused of "spamming the boards" because I sometimes post news stories that I think people might be interested in, or what I consider "conversation starters" that don't always have a direct question in them.

But honestly, then people complain about how slow Answers can be sometimes. If there were no drama/troll questions, no "I've got x-colored thus-and-such leaking from my vagina" and "could I be pregnant/pregnate/pegnit" questions, and no "spam" questions, what would we have?

So is there anything wrong with posting conversation starters, like pics of your kids, news stories about mosquitoes the size of quarters, observations about dealing with aging parents, etc? Personally, I think that's part of the fun of Answers. Giving and receiving information, but also shooting the shit about lots of stuff.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in About CafeMom

• LOL! I agree with you Ballad. I honestly can't believe how slow the P & CE section has been. There's something going on every day worth talking about. And I personally love to see pics of kids or pets. And I like the fashion posts too. Even tho most of the outfits are something I probably would never wear. :p I think like some of the others said, there are some posts that seem to be fishing for something or trying to get you to join something. And there are some others that I swear are posted by juvenile delinquents!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Multiple posts all at once are what I mainly consider spam. There are a lot of Would You Rather and Would You Wear This posts that are funny in small amounts, but 15 in a row is just too much to go through and sends interesting posts to the next page.

And then there are the frequent posts in the debate section that are either proselytizing or vague and the OP refuses to clarify.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Posting questions over and over and over. Posting a question, not liking the answers they get, closing the question and reposting. Posting the same crap in different sections. Posting just to start drama or trouble. Posting to get so many votes or likes on something like their baby picture contest. Posting to try to sell crap. Posting to try to get people to join something.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• In my opinion Spam is just a post to get you to buy something or join something. I enjoy all other kinds of different posts that are informative or silly.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I think some people are confused about spamming or don't have a down arrow to bypass questions they don't like.

Except you posted it anon so nobody cares.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• If the last 5+ new questions are all yours, you're spamming. If all you've done is copy and pasted something with no original thought of your own, you're spamming. If the only reason you're posting is points or your to do list, you're spamming. You're also being really rude to the people who posted legitimate questions that won't be seen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Spam to me is usually advertising or posting excessive bullshit. However, sometimes the WYWT or WYR questions that come one after the other and take up the whole page can get obnoxious, especially when it happens a few times a week.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

Anonymous

• The only ones I consider spam are the ones that are selling something. Honestly, if someone wants to post really stupid stuff for points that don't matter, they are playing by the rules, and I can skip the question.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• IMO spam is someone posting just to get points, or posting something like an ad or something random and irrelevant, like spam mail in your email. Or someone who is baiting a question or attempting to proselytize. Posting a question just to start an argument or only wanting one kind of answer and getting upset when she doesn't get it. Stirring up drama just to delete things to look like she's being bullied, etc, etc, etc. Anyone who's intentions aren't exactly forthright.

If you're posting sincerely because you're trying to interact with others and actually share and have real conversations and all that you're fine.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2013