Have you ripened avocado in the microwave?

How well did it work? Is there a better way that you have tried? I want to use avocado for our dinner and they aren't quite ripe enough.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I've tried and it didn't work at all. I was a sad guppy on that blustery, guacamole-free day.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I've never heard of doing that.. I thought avocado in a paper bag on the counter worked best for this.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• How long would you microwave them for anyway? On low heat? No idea how this would work...
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I'll be waiting on your results - it's usually one extreme or the other here, nowhere near ripe or so far past ripe your thumb goes through if you try to pick it up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Debating if I want to try it with one now. I've made the recipe where you halve them and put them under the broiler, and that usually turns out ok with not quite ripe avocados, but I'd rather have it for my salad.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• You can't hurry the ripening!!!! but the paper bag works good.

Answer by older at 3:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Paperbag or put them in the sun but it won't be ready for tonight.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• paper bag with apples or pears inside works well, but not quickly.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I've done them in a paper bag, but I don't think there's any way you'll get them ripe by tonight. You could try the microwave if you don't mind risking the avocadoes in case it doesn't work, but unless they're right on the verge of being soft enough, I'd guess you'll just end up with halved, hot, unripe avocadoes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I've never heard of using a microwave. We have a butt load of roadside fruit vendors in our town and a lot of them sell like 30 avocados for 5 bucks and I keep wanting to grab some but they're usually not ripe yet and I don't want 30 avocados on my counters for days while they ripen. Wish the microwave did work!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2013