Styles for little girls with very fine hair?

I never thought much about my five-year-old's hairstyle. I figured if she had the tangles brushed out before she left the house on any given day, all was right with the world. But this morning, I brushed her hair and she asked her daddy how she looked. And he said in a grouchy way, "Your hair looks as good as it ever does, I guess."

Okay, in his defense, he's been under a lot of stress lately with his aging parents, taxes, and blah, blah, blah. But that was a crappy thing to say. Actually, it didn't even register with our daughter, I don't think. But it bothered me, so I guess I'm going to have to figure out what to do.

The problem is, her hair is very fine. It's down the back of her neck, but I have a hard time getting berettes or anything to stay in it because there just isn't that much to work with. The other thing is, she has no patience for standing around being messed with. So are there any ideas for cute, quick styles that I can do under these conditions? Or should I just keep letting her go with a brush and a kiss and blow off her dad?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My hair has been fine as bug fuzz for my whole life. It does best cut really short. I would consider doing that to hers, especially if she doesn't like you fooling with it. Some kind of a little pixie cut would be very cute. It doesn't tangle and it's very easy to take care of.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Maybe you could take her to a trusted hair stylist who could teach you some easy styles to play around with. You may have to use some hair product on it to get it to stay. I tried looking up some pics for you, but it's probably best to have someone show you in person.

As far as daddy's comment goes, luckily it didn't upset her.  I"d let it slide this time considering what he's going thru. Next time he needs a swift kick in the butt tho! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• If she doesn't care about how her hair looks, just try and get it brushed. And tell your husband that what he said was NOT ok.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2013