Traveling with a sitter

My husband and I are planning a trip later this year and we want to take a sitter with us. Anyone out there familiar with this way of traveling and can give us any advice. We plan on paying for her plane ticket and lodging/meals, should we also pay her for her services or would the trip itself be payment.

Thanks for your help!

moxielicious

Asked by moxielicious at 9:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Travel

• i think you need to pay her for her services too, because she wouldn't come if you didn't need her too, so it's not a vacation for her
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think you should offer just the things you mentioned first. It depends on whether she has other responsibilites/job outside of sitting for you. But alot of people would just be happy to get a free vacation. My parents did this with my cousin when I was younger...she never got paid but she had a ball.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Discuss it with the sitter. I feel that her services should be paid for as well.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 11:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was a nanny when I was in college. I watched the kids for 2 years 3 days a week. I loved those kids. When the family went on vacation they would invite me along. I didn't get paid for the week, but my whole trip was paid for. I went on a cruise with them once and I stayed in a room with the kids so they could have their own for their anniversary. They gave me acruise credit card so I could get all my drinks. They paid for me to go snorkeling with them. It was a blast. I wasn't paid, but that was my situation. If you are just hiring one of your regular sitters it may be nice to give them $100 for blow money or something, but I wouldn't think you would have to pay a whole lot more than that if you are paying for the whole trip.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I took my son's nurses aid with us to Disneyland from Hawaii, we made a schedule & paid her for those hours ie; It was a 15 day trip, she worked M - F 8 - 3pm, weekends & nights off, even though we spent most of the time together, even nights & weekends, it was her time to come & go as she pleased. You can make it work best for your situation.
    danielle808

Answer by danielle808 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Pay for the travel, food and pay for the time that she is sitting for you. She would not be there otherwise.
    emme1964

Answer by emme1964 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• you know.. i was a traveling babysitter many moons ago... lol tear drop, my youngest is having her first baby in April.. ok, anyhow, when i was 14 I traveled with them to Disneyworld.. we made the deal that i would tend to the kids.. as long as it wasnt late into the evening unless i was back at the resort.. but they paid for everything (airfare, hotel, disneyworld, universal studios etc) we made the agreement that the trip alone was my payment.. and i said great when do we leave... lol so i had nick and becca ages 9 and 7 (very good kids) the three of us on some occasions would explore the parks.. granted we had to let them know when we were switching parks... but it was a great trip...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think it would depend on the age of the sitter. If you are asking a teenage sitter along, I would think the payment of the trip would be sufficient. If this is an adult sitter would need to take the time out of her regular life to travel with you, I would believe she needs to be paid. The payment for her services would be for the work she would do for you, the cost of her travel is what you pay to have the convience of her along with you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009