Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How to get a loan for cosmetology school

I've tried FAFSA, Wells Fargo, and one other place I can't remember and cosmetology schools aren't listed so I can't apply. Does anyone have any ideas about where I should try?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Ask the school you are applying to what kind of financial aid programs they work with.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • usually trade schools will help you...take to them

    Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • I applied for a loan from the school I attended! Also I no some churches will help as well

    Answer by rachel216 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • You have to find a school that is approved to receive federal financial aid. Typically, all community colleges do, and they also have cosmetology classes. Some private trade schools also receive federal financial aid but others choose not to participate or aren't approved to participate. What city/state are you in? You should still apply for FAFSA once you find a few schools you want to compare for their financial aid offers. Financial aid can differ between schools because some schools supplement with private or institutional grants. You could also look find a list of institutions granting cosmetology licenses or degrees through your state's licensing page or accreditation agencies.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 7:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • hellokittykat

    Answer by hellokittykat at 7:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • Also, if you are currently unemployed, your state may have a program where they will provide an additional grant (on top of Pell grants I believe) for you to attend school. Check with your state's local unemployment agency web site.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 7:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • Check with the school. Our local trade school does financial aid, but they also have a program that for any training programs that cost less than whatever amount, they'll work out payment arrangements with you. Usually you have to pay like half by the first day of class, and have the remainder paid (either in one lump payment or in installments) by about halfway through the course. I think they have certain requirements for it, like stable employment, etc., but if one near you has the same thing, it might work.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

  • Shouldn't the school be able to help you ourl with that?

    Answer by Dardenella at 2:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

  • Yes! Marinello school of beauty Santa Clara! It's an accredited college, approved by the Department of Education to participate in Title IV financial aid programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Veterans' benefits programs, including the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) and Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) etc, so I'd encourage you to take a look into their course structure and see if it fits your needs. :) Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something you like.

    Answer by Jeannine_B at 1:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.