Anyone heard of Boxers not being able to have flea medicine?

We have a wonderfu new puppy, just took her in for her second round of shots, and in 2 weeks she will get spayed. Our older dog is on the medicine for heartworm and fleas, the vet told me that alot of boxers have adverse reactions to flea meds, of any kind.
I asked how do we prevent them then, she just kind of shrugged and said flea shampoo etc.
Any of you with boxers is this truly the case? This isn't our usual vet, where we adopted her from the first year of visits come with adoption, so please tell me if this is true, how do you make sure they don't get fleas? They gave her a seperate dose for heartworm, so IDK.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Pets

• I've never heard of that. I just did a quick googling, and didn't have anything come up. Seems to me if it was common, or that "a lot" of them have them, there'd be more about it online.

I think I'd take her to your regular vet, because this one sounds...not quite right. Maybe there's something to it, but given that I didn't find a whole bunch of "Don't give your boxer flea meds or they'll have a bad reaction" or "I gave my boxer flea meds and the dog (insert horrible reaction here)" posts, I'm thinking no.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• what kind of flea med? I have had boxers and ALL of them did fine with comfortis.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I have never heard this and I worked for a vet for 12 years!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I suppose some breeds may be predisposed to having a reaction but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use anything. There are a lots of different products on the market that you can try. Just keep an eye on her with the first few doses if you see her having a reaction than stop the product and try something else. I agree Comfortis for fleas and Trifexis for heartworms and fleas works really well.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 9:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I haven't heard of that specifically, but boxers have been overbred and tend to have a lot of health problems.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2013