Can a seven month old baby be obese?

ok so took baby for checkup today and my lo weighs 27 pounds and is 28 inches long and the doctor says my son needs to see a nutritioness cause he is supposed to double his weight from birth and my son had trippled his he weighed 9 pounds 9 ounces at birth i dont want to deny my son his food i just want him to be a happy healthy baby. and hes almost 8 months not sure what to do but it hurt me that his doctor said your son is obese :(

navywife234

Asked by navywife234 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could there be a medical reason he is gaining so much weight? Hormonal or something?

What does he eat?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• similac he drinks 9 ounces 3 to 4 times a day per bottle a jar of baby food like squash or green beans with a scoop of rice in it and sum times he doesnt eat a full jar
    navywife234

Comment by navywife234 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Don't deny him food, just feed him healthy food.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 8:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• lol i dont plan it
    navywife234

Comment by navywife234 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• What do you mean you don't plan it?
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 8:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• He's still on formula, right? Maybe he has a thyroid issue? But my cousin's baby tripled his birth weight like that, and his doctor never said anything about it. He's a healthy five-year-old now. I'd talk to another doctor if you can; some of those pediatricians stick so closely to the charts they foreget every baby is different. Mine was a slow starter, and she didn't hit ten pounds till she was almost six months old. The WIC nurses were freaking out on me that she wasn't gaining enough, but she's five now and right in the middle of the charts where she belongs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• omg bad typo geees uwmilf i dont plan on denying my son food dahhhhh damb auto correct
    navywife234

Comment by navywife234 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• He seems to be eating what an "average" 7 month old eats. Perhaps ask for a second opinion.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• That is a pretty big boy! He is getting the proper amount of formula. Is his Dad a big guy? Possibly genetics. I can't imagine why you would have to bring him to a Nutritionist since all he is eating is basically 3 to 4 different foods. That is an odd request by his Dr. But, my Daughter who was in the 95th percentile for weight for the first year (chubby) is going to be two & she only weighs 25 lbs. now. When he gets moving more, crawling & walking they shed the baby weight pretty fast. Can you go to a different Pediatrician & see what they say? Maybe he's just going to be a big kid, I mean tall & built maybe like his Daddy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• That's over the 95th percentile for weight and at the 50-75th percentile for length
    Even at that big of a weight at birth,you have to watch that weight somehow,or he could be a 45 lb 1 year old
    That's alot of formula for his age IMO. Are you giving him non-baby food things? Cookies,candy,cake,fast food,etc?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2013