Ganglion cyst, bible bump...

Anyone know about gaglion cysts? I have one on my right hand where my ring finger meets my palm. It first came up around a month ago and I hit it and broke it and the pain went away and the bump went down. The damn thing is back. And is painful. From what I have read they are not a big deal, but I need my hands to make my living... I am a potter... and I don't want this issue to hinder me. Do I have to have surgery to get rid of it for good?

I know you are not doctors... Just wanting to know your experiences.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2013 in Health

• I had one of those on my wrist in high school. It took many dr's to finally get it diagnosed. My family dr told me it was just growing pains and I just needed to deal with it. But I complained enough about it that my mom finally got me a referral to a bone specialist. He took 1 look at it and said that he thought he knew what it was but wanted an xray to confirm. He was right. I had an out patient surgery to have it removed. And I have a cool scar on my wrist:-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Gee I don't know anything about those but it sounds like you would not want to work with clay when it is an open sore and that would definitely affect your ability to work. I would ask the doctor.
    Do you have a website to show your work> I know I have seen a few pieces that you posted but I would like to see more.
    I sure hope you find the answers soon and feel better fast.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I "Supposedly" have one on my wrist, I personally do NOT think it is a ganglion cyst but my Dr says it is and not to worry about it. But yes it is a surgical procedure to remove it, in and out I believe.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• Mine wasn't an open sore. It was more like a lump under the skin. But it did hurt and felt much better after it was removed. I heard somewhere that those are genetic.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• It is not an open sore. It is a hard pea sized bump under the skin. It is not exposed at all.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• I don't know, but here's a bump. What an awesome job to have! I always wanted to learn to make pots on a wheel, but I've never had a chance.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2013

• You can have surgery, but if they don't get it all it will just regrow. I have one in my wrist. I just pop it when it gets big enough to be a PITA. It usually only gets big about once a year.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I had a cyst, I THINK it was a ganglion cyst, on some nerves in my right wrist. After several custom braces, and some OT, they finally went in and removed the affected nerves. I have not had feeling in the palm of that hand, near the base/wrist since. The dead zone is about the size of a quarter.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I had one on the back of my hand once and my doctor literally said to hit it with the family bible lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:59 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I had one on my wrist from the huge amount of writing I had to do at work. I changed the system we used over to one that I could type instead of hand write and wore a brace for a little while and it went away. GL :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2013