Can my Husband file seperately and just claim me as a dependent (because i didnt work at all in 2008) rather than file joint?

we're not going to be able to file our kids as dependents because my DH is in the airforce and was gone for 6months so the kids and i stayed with my mom and we're letting her claim them for this 2008.

emily_w

Asked by emily_w at 9:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• if you filed married joint last year, you have to again every year unless you get divorced
    Anonymous

• oh we got married in 2008, so we've never filed married before.
    emily_w

Answer by emily_w at 9:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If you're not working, you'll probably get twice as much back under married filing joint than filing separate. Use Taxact.com and after you fill it all in, they'll let you do a comparison using all the same info as filing separate and tell you what the refund is for each.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i dont know about this my hubby was gone for 8 months still claimed me and the kids.. u sure he cant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• and i dont see how if you are married your mom can claim you.. not sure that you can do that..
    Anonymous

• Did your husband never send you any money from his paychecks during his deployment? If he did then your mother can NOT claim your children as dependents unless she provided more than 6 months of their FULL care. With their mother there (you) she did not. And if you received money from your husband's paycheck, then she definitely did not.

It would be best to file married/joint and claim your children as your dependents. You are not your husband's dependent, by the way, you are his spouse.

It might be worth the extra money to go to a tax professional to have your taxes done this year so everything can be explained to both of you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I am not sure what to tell you but I know that there are tax people on base that did our taxes last year and that is were we are going again this year. They are military members who take a class and then they can do peoples taxes. ITS FREE.... you can find them at legal. Just call over there and I am sure you can ask them questions. Good luck!
    newmilmom

Answer by newmilmom at 11:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009