Can I stil get spousal support after 5 years of never getting it

judge awarded me spousal support but because I feared him so much I didn't press the issue. Now I am ready and I really need it.

msjenkins210

Asked by msjenkins210 at 2:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• You should be able to show the support was awarded by the court and not rexceoved. They should go from there
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• You need to look into it. Call your Lawyer.

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I know if child support is ordered and not paid, you can have him held in contempt for failure to pay. I would think spousal support would work the same way.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Spousal support is typically only awarded for a short amount of time- maybe a year or two (there are exceptions though). It is there to help you get back on your feet. After five years, you should have already accomplished this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• If he owes it the court will enforce it, but you have to initiate the proceedings and have his served with a contempt citation. the way my lawyer explained it to me is that spousal support is non-negotiable unlike child support that can be re-evaluated and modified. It is not based on what he makes. If you are still within the time limit issued by the court to receive it, you can pursue it. If not, you may have a harder time because you haven't attempted to collect previously. I was awarded 52 months of 'property equalization' because I walked away with my kids and let him have everything. He is 7 months behind on payments and will go to jail if i pursue it, he has already been warned by the court that if he got behind again he would face time behind bars.
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2013