Should I go to the ER or not?

So I just found out that my sister in-law just went to the hospital and has influenza B...she was around my daught on saterday night, and all day Sunday. IM FREAKING OUT. I guess she had it all weekend and symptoms dont show up right away...
The Dr.s office is closed so I cant ask the what to do, but I dont want to wait becasue symtoms come very quickly and include a really high fever ect...
So basically I dont know what to do because shes not showing symptoms yet but she could still have it and i dont know if i should take her to the hospital or not? Could they even find out if she has it if she doesnt have symptoms?
PLEASE HELP!

ArmyWifeNewMom

Asked by ArmyWifeNewMom at 9:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• your daughter is NOT showing signs of any infection and you want to rush her to the Emergency Room???

Emergency Rooms are for Emergencies... a healthy baby has no place in the ER...

and no you can't find out if she has anything because without symptoms she doesn't, viruses have an Incubation period which means it has to live in the body before you get sick, and you cannot figure out if it's living in your body or not until you get symptoms and your body starts forming antibodies to the virus.
    Anonymous

• No you should wait for symptoms. If she shows symptoms then schedule a doctors appointment. Girl you gotta relax.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Please don't abuse the Emergency Dept. They are already overwhelmed with emergencies and non-emergencies. Your child isn't even sick. If you are that worried, call your pediatrician in the morning and tell them what's going on....and they will tell you that if she starts to show symptoms, to make an appt.
    Anonymous

• WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANONYMOUS TO TELL SOMEONE NOT TO ABUSE THE ER IF SHE FEELS LIKE SHE SHOULD TAKE HER DAUGHTER TO THE ER THEN THAT IS HER RIGHT AND FOR YOU SAYING DONT ABUSE LADY YOU HAVE SOME F NERVE
    Anonymous

• They have urgent care centers in some Walgreens pharmacys and inside the hospitals look up urgent care centers in your area. Or night light pediatric centers in your area, there open till 11pm
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If she's feeling fine now I'd wait. It's possible she won't get it but taking her to the ER will expose her to other stuff like RSV. If she starts showing some symptoms then by all means do what you have to do, but for now I'd say just watch her.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ok, if you take her to the ER you will seriously be last in line to be seen! I'd wait till there were symptoms first.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No, of course not. They CAN'T treat someone who is not sick. All they can and will do is tell you to come back if she shows symptoms.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If she's not sick, why would you take her to the ER where she will be exposed to many other germs and viruses where she could catch something even worse than influenza?

If you do take her, they're going to look at you and say "so she's not sick and you want us to see her?" You'll be waiting for 24 hours at least and the doctor will tell you to take her home, that you've needlessly exposed her to many other diseases and to watch her, taking her to her own pediatrician if she does get very sick.

I really fail to see where the emergency is in this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Anon 9:59...taking someone to the ER when there is no need for the ER (ie: no EMERGENCY) is abusing the system!

Her daughter isn't even showing cold symptoms! She would be taking time away from those who have true emergencies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2009