I have twins on both sides of my family and my husband and his mother is a twin. Do we have a high chance to have twins?

i have one set of twins on my mother's side of the family and on my father's side of the family I have 7. My husband is a fraternal twin and his mother is an identical twin.

MrsTekaZellars

Asked by MrsTekaZellars at 7:26 AM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Definitely you have high chance to have twins.
    My auntie's family have a number of twins. Her mother, 2 of her niece and 4 of her cousins have twins. so I think you have great chance to have twins. Congratulations in advance.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 7:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• YES!!!!

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Certain factors increase the likelihood that you could conceive twins.
    The tendency to hyperovulate (release more than one egg when you ovulate) is hereditary. If you became pregnant in a cycle that you released two eggs with ovulation, it's possible you could conceive fraternal twins. A woman can inherit the gene from either parent, so YOUR family history of fraternal twins on both sides would be relevant to your "chances." Since your husband is a fraternal twin, he may pass along the hyperovulation gene on the X chromosome to your children (which would increase the likelihood of twins further down the line...your grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.) But he cannot influence what YOUR ovaries do, so HIS family history won't increase the likelihood that the two of YOU will conceive twins.
    Identical twins (when a single fertilized egg divides in half) are considered random, statistically. There may be a genetic link to the
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• "tendency" for the egg to split. Anecdotally, as a twin parent, I do know of people who have conceived identical twins twice, and also situations with a father who is an identical twin conceiving identical twin(s). But a specific link hasn't been identified, to my knowledge.

I think IVF also increases the likelihood of twinning, but not just fraternal twins (from multiple embryos.) There is a higher incidence of embryos dividing (identical twins), as well. You can tell this happened when two embryos you transferred "take," and then you end up with triplets because one divided. I have read about this statistic but it's been awhile since I did any reading on twin stuff; my twins are almost five now.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Better than average chance.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:12 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Both my grandmothers had fraternal twins with more twins on both side of my family
    And my father a twin I've had 2 miscarriages and 7yr son and now pregnant
    6weeks do I have a risk of having twins
    Babystar21

Answer by Babystar21 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 28, 2014