I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath home that I'm looking to rent out, can I rent it out to a family of six? They have two boys two girls.

I am new to the renting industry. I am not too familiar with state laws. I live in Texas

anonymous98

Asked by anonymous98 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• While there are typically no set laws on how many can sleep in one room, there are guidelines. I would call you local CPS to find out about state and local regulations for this. However, my family owns rental property and I am pretty well versed on our state laws and who you should/shouldn't rent to and I would not rent a 2 bedroom house to a six person family. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• You can if they really don't mind that. My family of six lives in a 3 bedroom home. Girls in one bedroom, boys in another, and of course hubby and I in the third. Is there another room that could be used as a bedroom? Just don't move trash into a nice neighborhood. We had a shooting out here because the landlord didn't care that he moved druggies into our quiet area. We are trying to get them booted out since their lease is up next month. Oh sorry to go off topic.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:11 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Check local ordinances. Where I live there is a 'single family home' ordnance allowing no more than 2 people (over the age of 12 months) per bed room. So a family of 6 would need a 3 bedrooms.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• We are a family of 5 living w/ 3 beds & 1 bath. There is a toilet in the basement but it's not technically a 1/2 bath. It's the emergency potty! :p (strange set-up if you ask me) I guess you better look into your local laws to protect yourself.  More power to ya for being a landlord tho.  You couldn't pay me enough to deal with that mess.  GL!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Legally, it depends on your state laws. I wouldn't do it even if it was legal though. A 2 bedroom house is usually not set up to deal with 6 people.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• That seems like too small of a house for 6 people! Where are the parents going to live?

Check into your state laws to keep yourself safe.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Just saw this after a quick search: Number of residents depends on number of bathrooms not number of bedrooms, the ordinance varies from city to city rather than state, and some cities have no such ordinance, contact an attorney for more specific answers.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I wouldn't. I'd find a single man to rent it. Less wear & tear on the home. They don't cook & are never home. Less maintenance & repairs for you & it will be nearly new when he leaves for you to rent it again.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Most guidelines state that a max of 2 people per room so a 2 bedroom house would be better suited for a family of 4.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2013