Do you think welfare is designed to punish productivity and self-sufficiency?

Have you ever wondered why their is so much abuse in the system and the government doesn't seem to care about all the waste such as, food stamps being used to buy luxury foods and things that some working people can't afford? Do you think this is the socialist way of trying to punish capitalist by taking their hard earned money and dumping it down the drain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oh no honey, you can't say things like this. It's being mean to the poor people. Most believe they should be able to buy WHATEVER they want with no oversight because they are poor. FS should be run like WIC. Certain things you can get and certain thing you can't. If you don't like it, don't use it! MAYBE just MAYBE if this stuff wasn't SO easy to get fewer people would get on it and stay on it!!

Anonymous

• I think it's a way of buying votes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• im on foodstamps and no im feeding my daughter so no i dont think im using the system at all im trying to make things better for my daughter and right now not for ever i need them
    Anonymous

• Yeah. Yeah, that's it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Good Lord...some of you people are really on a tear lately about Welfare. Truly some of you sound absolutely enmeshed in a case of huge hysteria over welfare. WHen reading what some of you write..I envision screaming heads, eyes bulging, punching and kicking walls! Calm down already. Poor people have to eat too or don't they?
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it's a program that is intended for good and is sorely abused.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you can't get self sufficient after six months of getting a hand up, you should have to work for your check. 40 Hours a week.

After the people that have made a career of sucking the life out of the program realize that they can make twice as much EARNING a living, I bet it will become a lot "easier" for them to find a job.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The hysteria is not just on this particular question/thread...but thru out any of these questions on CM with responses about welfare. Chill Pills for everyone!!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 10:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Im not sure. I do think that it should be more tightly regulated...you can buy this, but not this. I also think the whole system needs to be reorganized. I'm a single parent, a full time student and have a part time job, working like 20 hours a month. Yet somehow I dont qualify for food stamps. Now tell me how that works?
    Anonymous

• i don't think welfare is designed to punish anything.
    i think its being abused to a point that it, in turn, actually does punish those who are financially independent, because they are striving to create a better lifestyle for themselves and/or families the right way, and the taxes they pay will go to (not all, but too many to be considered fair) folks who survive by CHOOSING to leech off the system instead of the work they are capable of. i probably would be eligible for food stamps because of the low income, but i feel uneasy being dependent and using money that i did not earn. plus, i have gained so much more security on my own than by leaning on government aid.
    welfare, although intended to get folks back on their feet, is used more like an entitlement crutch than is wise.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 10:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• the way I see it...so what if they by the expensive foods...they will just be hungry at the end of the month when the food and foodstamps have run out.
    Anonymous