My expecting daughter doesn't want to share her baby shower with her brother's expecting girlfriend, should I throw a separate one or not worry about having one for my son's girlfriend of six months.

My daughter doesn't want to have anything taken away from her by having to share her baby shower. Plus she doesn't want the girlfriend to feel bad about not getting the same amount of gifts that she does. The girlfriend has not been with my son long...6 months and not many family members have even met her.

It I throw one for her I'm not sure how to arrange the dates to not have people attending showers too close together. Their due dates are 4 days apart. Would people come do you think because of their relation to my son or not come because they have not met her?

searay310

Asked by searay310 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Pregnancy

• throw separate e ones. Make each day about each mom.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I would do them seperate. Make each one special.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• You shouldn't throw either of them. The proper etiquette is that family members do not throw showers. That being said I don't like joint showers.

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Why doesn't the girlfriend's mother or one of her other family members throw her a shower? I'm not understanding why it is up to you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I have never heard the etiquette that family doesn't throw it.

I say throw that out the door. What if the girl doesn't have friends?

Id do them separate.

it would be rude if you did your daughter but not your sons gfs . jmho
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

Answer by missanc 48 minutes ago
    This is what I believe about the situation, too. I don't think grandmothers should ever throw a baby shower nor do I think moms should ever throw a bridal shower!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• "What if the girl doesn't have friends?"

Honestly curious, if the girl doesn't have friends then who are you inviting to a baby shower?
    You can look up the etiquette. Some people don't observe the traditional rule anymore, but in those areas of the country that still do it's frowned upon.

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Well. I think it's a bit selfish to flat out say that you don't want anything taken away from YOU by sharing your shower, because the shower is about the baby, not YOU (well, you're daughter I mean). I understand the bummer of having to share but if it would cost the person nice enough to throw one for you twice as much money to do them separately I wouldn't complain. Is it maybe the fact that she doesn't know your son's girlfriend very well, seeing as how they've only been together 6 months, and maybe she'd just feel awkward?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Each girl should have their own special day UNLESS they have requested to have them together.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I guess I'm going to be the odd one out, but I think your daughter is being a bit selfish. What would it hurt to have the showers together? It might be a good chance for your son's girlfriend to meet the family. Why would the girlfriend get less gifts, if everyone brings something for both moms-to-be?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2013