Best Shrubs/plants/bushes/trees for front of the house?

I am redoing my landscaping in the front of our house. I don't have much of a green thumb and I am on a major budget. What i'm looking for is low maintenance, difficult to kill, and some color for the landscaping. I also want things that will still stand through winter. Not something that flowers and then has to be cut down until the next spring.

Any suggestions?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Go to a local nursery and look around. They will sell what does well in your area. Plant shrubs based on their mature size even though they may look small and too widely spaced right now. So many people plant shrubs that get huge and then end up cutting them back to an unattractive shape or pulling them. A rhodedendron will get huge, but you can ask about varieties like PJM that do not get as big as the traditional rhody. Azaelas do nicely too in front of a house. They need a little more protection than if they are out in the open. Again, plan on their mature size. We just had to pull a couple because too many were planted in our front. And be careful not to plant right up against your foundation. You don't want it flattened up against the house. You want to be able to walk behind any plants. Also know that nurseries will sometimes suggest a plan, but they want to sell a lot of plants so be careful of sizes. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• What region do you live in? That will help determine what plants will do best in your climate.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Yes, that helps. I live in NJ.
    I do plan on a rhodendrian and some boxwoods.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Aside from a tree, most bushes will need to be trimmed occasionally. Butterfly bushes are nice but can get huge if not trimmed. They'll give you color all summer Eunoymous come in lots of colors & some grow low to the ground. Even Hosta will need the stalks cut off in the fall. How about a rock garden with sedums & other rock garden plants?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Azaleas for spring color. Fill in with annuals like Impatiens. You'll have to trim the boxwoods every year too or they get huge & messy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I don't know about NJ, but I lived in MT when I was growing up and we had some really healthy lilacs. I don't know how inexpensive they are. Juniper is good, but they are sort of flat.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Lots of ideas in landscaping books and websites too. Plus websites of your local nurseries.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I don't mind trimming at all, i just want ones that I don't have to do a lot to keep them alive hahah.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Ilovemypaulie- I do plan on putting stone on top after their are all planted.. is that what you mean by a rock garden? Excuse my ignorance.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• silvertreads-I know rhodadendriens do get huge, I wasn't sure if I could trim them or not?
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2013