Chicago people check in tonight *updated*

My fb is blowing up from all the people back home as the weather is changing. Stay safe!

This is a pretty rare occurrence. The Storm Prediction Center says there is at least a 10% chance of an EF-2 tornado within our viewing area. Mike & Jerry will keep you updated through the afternoon.

(that's all from Channel 7's facebook)

The more they post, the uglier it sounds:

This a ComEd storm communication message for municipal leadership. A severe storm front will move through the ComEd service territory this afternoon beginning at approximately 3 p.m. Current forecasts call for extreme conditions. This storm is expected to produce large hail, lightning and strong sustained winds with gusts up to 60 mph. This storm has the potential to cause widespread outages and damage to our electrical system. ComEd is taking necessary precautions to prepare for this event. The ComEd Emergency Operations Center opened at 5 a.m. this morning and staffing levels have been increased to respond to outages or impacts to the system. Please contact your External Affairs Manager for critical facilities out of service in your communities or wards. Anyone seeing a downed power line is urged to keep a safe distance and immediately call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661) and report the location. Updates will follow. Thank you.

ETA:

the tornado warnings are starting - stay safe!!!

LOT continues Tornado Warning [tornado: RADAR INDICATED, hail: 2.50 IN] for De Kalb, Lee [IL] till 5:15 PM CDT ...AT 428 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR PAW PAW...AND MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

Baseball sized hail is detected with this storm

More:

LOT continues Tornado Warning [tornado: OBSERVED, hail: 2.50 IN] for De Kalb [IL] till 5:15 PM CDT ...AT 456 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR SOMONAUK...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

This is a CONFIRMED tornado! Get to shelter if you live in SANDWICH, PLANO, OSWEGO

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yikes. I hope everybody stays safe. I used to live in DeKalb and Troy worked in Chicago. My sister still lives near there. Tornadoes are so scary.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Good luck mamas and stay safe
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Hometown is just south of there.... so I will check Thanks!!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'm in Cincy & everybody's freaking out here too, but I don't think we're going to get it as bad.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• in Milwaukee (hour and a half north of chi town
    here we are expecting 60 mph winds
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Stay safe! And fingers crossed for our area too please. We are expecting 2-4 inches of rain, possible tornadoes and/or straight line winds tonite. I have to work tomorrow so no naps like today if I get sleep deprived! Of course if I get sucked up by a tornado, I guess sleep is the least of my worries!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• So did everybody come through okay? Any word?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

They just issued another round of weather alerts that started about 5 minutes ago. So far I haven't heard anything bad, but fb has also gotten very quiet, so I wonder how many have lost power/phone service.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Stay safe everyone out there
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 8:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2013