Kids under the age of 12 not allowed on adult donor list...

What are your thoughts on this especially since kids organs aren't easy to get and what if the kid was critical like if they didn't get the transplant they needed within 3 months they will likely die?

What made me think of this is this story which I am sure most people ahve heard by now. 
It's the PA girl that is 10 and was going to die soon without a lung transplant but she wasn't allowed on the adult list and the children organs aren't easy to come by. 
Pa. girl who took on donor rules gets adult lungs

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A family spokeswoman says the lungs being implanted in a 10-year-old Pennsylvania girl at the center of a debate on organ donation are from an adult.

Sarah Murnaghan, who suffers from severe cystic fibrosis, is receiving her new lungs at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

No other details about the donor are known, including whether they came through the regular donor system or through public appeals.

Murnaghan's health was deteriorating when a judge intervened last week, giving her a chance at the much larger list of organs from adult donors.

Spokeswoman Maureen Garrity says the family received word about the lungs Wednesday night. The Newtown Square girl was in surgery just after 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

Garrity says the family is "beyond excited" but mindful that someone else "had to lose a family member."

CLICKY

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• From a medical standpoint I understand the reasoning behind it. There is a much higher risk of rejection of the adult tissue as well as a decreased effectiveness (increased chance of needing another donor organ later on and the risks don't always outweigh the gains) However I do think there should be exceptions in cases of extreme need. (as in the case provided).
    I hope that this donation is what the girl needs in order to continue her journey and have a healthy life.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• The part about being on the adult donor list also leaves one other part out. That because she was put on the list someone else lost out on that set of lungs. It's a tradeoff. Now she has life but a mom in the same building may die because those lungs would have worked for her and she leaves 3 kids behind. A teenage boy may never go to college. All it did was take life from an adult and transfer it to a child. I'm not saying that one is more important then another because they are all equally important to those involved.

I wish her the best of luck and hope that there are no problems in the future.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:22 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Arbitrary, age-based cut off dates are never a good solution for anything, whether it's this or car seats or school grades. I do wonder if having one list for adults and another for children really solves anything. It seems to me they'd be better off adding additional criteria to their matching system - criteria they'd have to have in their database anyway for other reasons. Instead of matching for age, match for type and size - a 12 year old who hasn't started puberty yet is still small for an adult organ, but a 10 year old who started early and has had her first growth spurt is another situation entirely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I agree that it should be case by case. She was much sicker than some of the people receiving lungs before her, because she was passed over when adult lungs were available. I am very glad this girl is getting her lungs and I hope she recovers well from the transplant.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• What this story really highlights is the need for more people to sign up as potential organ donors. Many, many people die every year waiting for transplants.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I agree with Kristi, I think it needs to be based on a case by case basis. Adult organs aren't as compatible with children. If it is extreme need then yeah they should be allowed.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• The part about being on the adult donor list also leaves one other part out. That because she was put on the list someone else lost out on that set of lungs. It's a tradeoff.

It is. And it is a really hard decision that doctor's and administrative staff at the hospital, etc. have to make which is why those regulations are usually in place to begin with. It's a fine line that has to be walked and results in the potential loss of life in either case.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Agrees with Ballad
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 8:12 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Ballad...But not many kids die, so another kid can get their lungs. I hope when she gets that transplant, it works for her, and she does well, this may open doors for other kids like her. But that should happen when they get critical like this girl is. But again, that may put even more pressure on the transplant list.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2013