Babies and college - WWYD?

If you were going to have a baby before starting a two-year master's degree program (and this was your first baby), assuming that you were able to conceive when you wanted to, would you want your baby to be born 6 months before the beginning of your first year, 1 year before, 1 1/2 years before, or 2 years before? (If those are your only options.) Why would you choose what you did?

katinthehat8914

Asked by katinthehat8914 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Just for Fun

• If I had to choose probably 2 years before as it would be easier to put them in daycare while I have class. Though I have friends who started, got pregnant, and finished their degree by the time the child was 18 months.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• 2 years before
    Babes take a lot of your attention and it is difficult to study especially if they have been in Daycare most of the day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:08 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• The older the better.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Sooner the better. I've watch more people who were pregnant one semester disappear the next and never come back because it's so much harder with a newborn and they get discouraged. At least with a toddler you have a more steady schedule.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Old enough to go to daycare.
    But truthfully if I was going to go to college. And I had no kids yet. I would wait tell I finished college. College is hard enough by itself. Why stick taking care of a baby on top of that. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I would finish college first, I see no reason to have a baby before then if you already know you are going. If you insist on having the baby before college I would go with waiting 2 years because it is harder to concentrate on school with a baby around.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• kmath,

I had a kid while I was in school. I only missed a quarter, but I still got my associates. Now I'm working on my Bachelor's and she's only almost 3. A girl in one of my classes had a baby in the middle of the quarter and still returned to class and finished up the quarter. It can be done. Having a baby doesn't derail your plans...it just adds to the journey. :)
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 3:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Oh and btw. My GPA is 3.44. Not bad for a student with two kids.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 3:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I never said it couldn't be done, I just think it would be easier to get it done first. I don't see why you would deliberately make school harder by having a young child and going. Did you plan to have the kid while you were in school?

I am in college now as well. I have a 7 year old. Getting my second bachelors. So, yeah it happens. I just don't get having a baby and THEN starting the Master's program. I would do the Master's program first and then have the kid. That just makes more sense to me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:06 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I knew a girl who was timing her contractions as she finished her last final of the term. It was wild.

Seriously, I wouldn't put a kid in daycare under three years old unless I had no other choice. So three years before.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2013