naked

when is too old for a little boy to see his mommy naked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• i stoped as soon as he started asking questions, or staring. when he was 4yrs old i stoped letting him see me
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I agree. When he starts asking or staring at your body parts.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When you or he feels uncomfortable with it. Don't stop because he "asked a question". Answer his question in a simple way he would understand and don't make a big deal about it. Otherwise he will feel like he did something wrong, and you don't want that. When you decide to stop this do it in a nice way, with an explination. Like "Everyone needs their privacy sometimes" or what ever works for your situation. Modesty kicks in with kids usually between 5 and 7, so this isn't really something to worry about. I would be more worried that he would be afraid to come to you with a question about girls or about his own body because you refused to answer his original question about why "Mommy doesn't have a weewee" Just tell him "Because mommy is a girl and girls don't have one" and move on to something else.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 10:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I agree with MomOfJandM, between 5 and 7. 4 is still kind of early, they are just curious and notice things. My nephew pointed out his penis was he was 3 to my mum and said something to the effect of "Gramma, you don't have a pee pee like me. But PaPa does?...And daddy does?" And he paused and thought and said "Daddy's pee pee is big and mine is really wittle" Too dang funny. I'm sure in a few years when my son realizes boys and girls are different I will giggle and giggle. Just be open and honest, that's what I believe. Our bodies aren't something to be ashamed of. But I feel since at 5 you are not to take your sons into the ladies room with you that is a good time to not be naked infront of the opposite child's sex anymore. But if you're talking about your daughter that is different.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yeah I kinda eased off with bathtime with me and my son when he was about 3ish and now at 4 he still sees me naked at times but so far its not an issue. We talk about body parts and all but nakedness is not something we dwell on so its not an issue. He still wants to bathe with me but I tell him that he is so big now that he AND mommy couldnt fit in the tub together so he is fine with that. Just take it at your own pace and do what makes you and your child comfortable.
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 11:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Never start something that you don't know how or when to stop. My son has never seen me naked.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Never. Nudity in and of itself is not sexual or inappropriate. When you begin to make the human body a taboo subject, you set your children up for a lifetime of being uncomfortable with their own bodies. Just be open about your differences, and make sure to teach him about what is appropriate 'touch', and what isn't. Don't make your body out to be a sexual issue, and he won't see it as such.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 2:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm comfortable being nude around my child. I take baths with my boy toddler. He asks questions and I answer. I feel positive about our interactions and see no issues with it. I did read in his What to Expect From the Toddler Years book that the author recomends when the child of your opposite sex turns two is the time they suggest ending family nudity. But they thought it was fine if you are of the same gender. Respectfully I have to disagree with this. As a femminist I want my son to know that the female body is not only a sexual object. I want him to know that it changes, it is beautiful in any form, and to respect any person's body. Also that the body is normal and natural. I do respect that other families are not as open or comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• When he learned those words. Elk mommy what are those.........LOL
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I try not to make a big deal about it so my kids will be comfortable when they're older. I don't want to make it a secret, then when they're teens, they're desperate to see any woman naked! I don't shower with them or anything but if they happen to walk in when I'm changing I just remind them they need to knock but I don't get mad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2009