Dripping AC vent?

I have a vent for the air conditioning right above my home office desk, and my hand or thigh is hit by a water drop every few minutes.

I'm guessing it's condensation, but does anyone have tips what to do about it? I can't move my desk.

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 4:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Open it up and see if something needs cleaned out - filter, condensation tray, etc. Also check to see if any tubes look cracked or worn out in spots. If there's standing water backing up in it, that can make you sick.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Thanks NP. It's a rental house, so I may call my landlord about it if dh finds a problem.

Our AC is kind of whackadoodle the the house was designed. These water drops are cold!
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• If this is a central unit, it might mean it is frozen, at least that is what happened when one of my central units froze.....

Answer by older at 5:28 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'd have it checked out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• You need to get it checked out. You should NOT have a vent that drips water. My father used to work installing a/c, and while I don't remember a lot of what he told me, I do remember that there shouldn't be water in the ductwork. Call your landlord and tell him what it's doing. You also might consider (if the weather is bearable) turning the unit off until someone looks at it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2013