I just got all choked up over this story

I was watching my local news,and they were talking about the local summer food programs. They mentioned that if it weren't for these meals they serve every noon,some kids would go hungry because it's the ONLY meal they get that day,just like the free lunch they get at school. My district started that backpack program a few years ago where they leave out food filled backpacks in the halls for kids to grab as they leave so they can eat over the weekend. This breaks my heart.
I was one of these kids growing up,but all we had was the free lunch at school.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It is very unfortunate that is the only meal these kids get. This is one of the reasons why I don't go to our YFS's free lunch program. There are others who need it more than we do, plus I can't bring something for my Laura (the one who's allergic to EVERYTHING).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• This is so sad & so kind to do that backpack program. There are more families than ever who cannot afford necessities today. It sickens me that criminals in prison get 3 meals a day & leave prison healthier then when they arrived. These poor children are forgotten many times.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'm so glad people find it in their hearts to contribute to these programs. My church used to run a no questions asked food bank; we felt that people, especially kids, should at least get to go to bed with full bellies even if they had no proof of address or citizenship like you need for a lot of places. I didn't go hungry as a kid, but I've been there as an adult. Now when I contribute to a food bank, I always throw in a big bag of lollipops or cookies and some kid cereal because I want the children to have some of the fun stuff their peers get. It's a disgrace that we have so many hungry people in one of the world's wealthiest countries.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• But then there are some that are taking advantage, as in do not need it but use it.

I'd rather see a few bums out there taking advantage of free programs than a bunch of kids going hungry. Once you give something away, it's no longer up to you what the one who receives it does.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• NP

Reading that sickens me... Those fuck heads in the house need to take a damn pay cut.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• The parks in my area do that. It breaks my heart too.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I know what you mean. And then mine will complain that there's nothing to eat (we have food in the house at all times). I tell them they are lucky to have the 2 or 3 choices for breakfast or lunch, b/c for some kids their choice is to go hungry. Very sad :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Senate just voted to cut $4 Billion (that's billion, with a b) from the food stamp and school lunch programs.  It goes back to the House next, where the Pub majority wants it to be $20 Billion. Wonder where all those kids will be next year?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy lil troll.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I like those programs. I take my son to them every day at meal time, my daughters in summer camp. But it's not because I can't or won't feed feed him, it just really helps my food budget since they are not eating in school right now. Otherwise he might be getting mac and cheese or hot dogs every day. The lunch programs have really good food and he likes eating with the other kids too so it's more of an incentive for him to actually eat his food. The rule tho for our program is that one parents HAS to be present, and we have to sign the kids in everyday so people aren't taking advantage. Adults don't get to eat too though, just the kids and that's fine with me, I usually only eat once a day anyway.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 8:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2013