Can you say.... about time!!

Wildwood, N.J., wants you to hike your droopy pants
The shore town aims to cultivate a family-friendly image by banning folks from walking the boardwalk 'with their butts hanging out.'
By Jonathan Berr 3 hours ago
Share472Share463inShare.0212Wildwood, N.J., hopes to get young people to hike up their droopy pants where many others have failed.

The Jersey shore town is expected to approve a ban at a City Council meeting later Wednesday on what The Associated Press described as "overly saggy jeans that show underwear or skin when worn on the boardwalk." Offenders would be hit with fines ranging from $25 to $200, depending on the severity of the offense. The city also wants people to wear shirts and shoes when walking on the boardwalk.

Mayor Ernie Troiano told the Philadelphia Inquirer that the town is striking a blow for decency and noted that officials are "tired of looking at people walking around with their butts hanging out." He didn't respond to an email from MSN Money.

Wildwood has plenty at stake in diving into this cultural phenomenon.

Tourism is big business at the Jersey shore. About 59 million people visit the region annually, spending about $19 billion every year. The area is especially eager to get the word out that it's open for business in the wake of the devastation wrought last year by Superstorm Sandy.

Critics, however, are mocking the baggy-pants crackdown, which could be unconstitutional, saying it's a clumsy attempt by Wildwood to shed its reputation as a raucous party town whose year-round population of 5,400 swells to more than 150,000 in summer.

"If Wildwood wants to 'maintain a family-friendly image,' their better bet is to stop letting houses rent to packs of 18-year-olds and their much younger friends on senior and prom week trips," Jen Miller wrote on Phillymag.com.

Indeed, a well-intentioned ordinance would be difficult to enforce. Some experts have raised concerns that it could lead to racial profiling. It seems likely that the job of fashion police would fall to the city's Class II Special Law Enforcement officers, who are employed in summer to help keep order. That presents its own problems.

"Most Special law Enforcement Officers are col­lege stu­dents, usu­ally but not always crim­i­nal jus­tice majors," according to the Wildwood Police Department's website. "Working with our depart­ment pro­vides valu­able expe­ri­ence to the indi­vid­ual as well as allows the offi­cer to receive cred­its towards their degree as well as sup­ple­ment­ing our ranks."

They may get more of an education than they bargained for.

I SAY MAKE IT NATION WIDE!! LOL

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It'll get overturned on first amendment grounds.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:00 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• So that's how they're going to use their law enforcement resources? Really? Must be nice to live in a town with so little else to worry about.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• It's a nice thought but will never hold. If we start policing the way people dress, it will be the end of our living in a free country.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 8:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• It will not work. We tried it, and the only thing, IMO was it gave cops a reason to stop the kids and tell them to hike the pants up and hope maybe we smell weed. Or like one guy did, and I laugh my ass off everytime I think of this. We were out patrolling one night and saw this guy that had his pants down and was showing his boxers and the ass crack, and had a shirt so long it looked like PJ's. So we pull over and tell the guy to pull his pants up. As he did, a gun fell out. I yell gun, we got out of the cruiser to chase him, (picked up the gun first though lol) and as he was running, his pants fell off, he takes a nose dive, literally, breaks and bloodied his nose, scrapes the hell out of his forehead and hands. He gets up, and a WTF look on his face, we get him in handcuffs, we laugh our asses off, still laughing as back up gets there. Then the little fucker had the balls, well almost. He hit them when he feel down...
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• ....and try to tell our lieutenant it was police brutality. It had me speechless to say the least. But apparently he didn't know what a dash cam was and it recorded the whole thing. Including us doubled over laughing! So we also charged him with making a false police report and possessing firearm. Dumbass.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• hahah Michigan-Mom... that's too funny!! That's what the funny part is, if they would pull up their pants they might be able to get away with more... lol And yeah it is funny at how people don't think about the dash cam. Sounds like some stories my sis would tell me when she was a cop. lol
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Everything starts at home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I had a foster son once who wore his pants down at the age of 9. He finally started wearing some of the jeans I bought that fit him when I told him the secret of why this old lady (me) was beating him everytime in races to the van. (He hated to lose at anything)
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I agree it will get overturned but I really hate the droopy pants thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2013