Sprinkler System

My condo has a sprinkler system in case of fire. There's some kind of a valve for it in the closet under the stairs. I went to get some birthday wrapping paper out of the closet, and it had gotten pressed up against the valve. Now there's this nasty-smelling greasy mess all over the wrapping paper, and it obviously came out of the valve. Does anybody know what's in those sprinkler systems or how I would stop it from leaking, or who I could call? I moved everything away from it as best I could and put an old pie tin under just in case it leaks more, but I have no idea how long it took to ruin the wrapping paper. It wasn't dripping while I stood there, so I think it must be seeping, and maybe it will stop if nothing is pushing against it. Here's hoping.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It may be a slimy mold. Is there a phone number for the Builder in your papers? I'd start with the Builder & see who they can refer you to. Maybe have your S/O tie up a plastic bag over the sprinkler thing or tack one around it on the ceiling.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:57 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• There is always pressurized water in those sprinkler heads so it's probably stagnant water.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Eeeww! Wouldn't surprise me, though; these places were built as cheaply as possible.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2013