WTF Seriously? Am I the only one who thinks a kid that's in summer school should be punished?

My 15yr old brother is in summer school AGAIN! Not because he has a learning disability but because of Pure laziness.
One teachers comment: It's too bad you didn't feel like putting in the time and effort to succeed because I believe you have the ability,
Another teacher: you could easily be an "A" student if you put your best self forward.
Another talks about his incessant talking

He just NEVER turns in his homework and fails, and it pisses me off that my parents reward his bad behavior by never punishing him.

Do you think a kid in Summer School should be punished?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 7:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I understand how frustrating it is when you care about someone & they aren't living up to their potential & making mistakes that could negatively affect their lives. Ultimately, your parents will deal with him the way they see fit. They may not want your input on this one. So don't offer it unless it comes up. I will say, that if it was my child & all other possibilities of any other causes for the failing grades was ruled out, I would be taking away privileges like the video games, since that could be a distraction from his learning.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• If it's a not finishing work situation, it shouldn't be offered more than once. Hold them back.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• If he's in summer school for being lazy, and has been more than once like you said, then yes. Summer school is punishment in itself, but obviously it's not enough to motivate your brother to put his best foot forward in school, so I'd be taking away the XVox and the privilege of going to the carnival. However, as I've learned the hard way just today, sometimes the way another set of parents choose to deal with situations is totally maddening, but also totally out of your control.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• My guess is there is something more going on with him. I would have your parents check into ADD/ADHD. I am not kidding. My own son is a genius and all through school I was told he was totally capable of doing the work, he is just lazy. We finally got down to it and the kid is ADD. As soon as he was put on meds the school issues were much more manageable. I know my son and know that if it was an issue he could control, he would.

Now I don't know your brother or your parents, so you may be right that he is just lazy, but it worth digging into the issue further. Is he a good kid otherwise? Helpful, respectful and so on?
    Anonymous

• In this particular case, yes, I think he should be. But there are some kids who shouldn't be punished because they are trying. I had to go to summer school once. I couldn't see the board because I needed glasses. I kept telling the teacher I couldn't see the board, but she wouldn't listen and told my parents I wouldn't do my work. The first eye doctor I saw said my vision was fine, so my parents took the teacher's word. I kept insisting I couldn't see the board, and they finally took me to a second doctor who correctly diagnosed me as needing glasses, but by then I'd failed so miserably in that class that I had to go to summer school. I don't think I should have been punished for that - it was my teacher's (for not moving me closer to the board), and my eye doctor's (for being a moron) fault. I did the best I could under those circumstances.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I would take away video games. Carnival? Depends on if he was the only one I was taking or if there were other kids going and if I could trust him to stay at home by himself (age / maturity). I wouldn't want to punish other kids for his screw ups, but if he were the only one going then I would put the hammer down on the carnival idea. I don't really see that as punishment, I see it more as a loss of privilege. I don't consider those the same thing. Punishment is doing additional work, like having to read something and prepare a book report for the mother to read separate from school work. Or yard work. Or cleaning the house. Or laundry. At least his own laundry if he doesn't already do his own.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Punished beyond summer school? What kind of punishment are you talking about?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:14 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I wouldn't pay for him to take summer school classes just to be put into the next grade level. Only ONCE would I pay for it, if he kept on failing b/c he's lazy, then tough shit, he'd be in the same grade.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• you do here...it's $300, that's why my mom made my nephew (she has custody) stay in 7th grade again. b/c he didn't try either
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• summer school IS a punishment!!

Depends on where you live. In my school, there were more voluntary classes than take it or be held back classes, and they only lasted about a month for a few hours a day. Not much of a punishment in the grand scheme of things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 PM on Jun. 12, 2013