Couldn't you really just cut it down to 6 categories?

Instead of picking from the I think 25 or so, couldn't you just do it like this-
Children
Relationships
Home-meaning anything that pertains to it.
Silly stuff
Health and Pregnancy
Religion and Debate
I don't really get why there needs to be categories at all, Just say-How do I get grape juice out of my tan couch and most normal people would know what you are asking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in About CafeMom

• You can't because people who like to discuss politics get buttsore when they're reminded that religions besides their own exist. Meanwhile none of the health questions would get answered because they'd be hidden behind "AM I PREGNATE I SNEEZED WHILE HE WAS MASTURBATING AND THINK I CAUGHT SOMETHING" spam. After 5 years of fighting for it, I seriously doubt the special needs moms want to deal with all the idiots who know nothing about their situation being "helpful" again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• They could do whatever they want regardless of what we want. I think that's the big thing we learned the last go around. Ultimately, they will do what is right for them and their business, because that's what this is. A business. We will just be left here to figure out where to put things.

I think there used to be more people that stuck to certain subjects / categories instead of just clicking on the Answers or Newest Questions buttons. For those members it would be a much bigger deal than for those of us that just click one of those buttons to bring us to the most current questions.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Personally, I never go into a specific category. I just go to the main answers page and scroll down, I never come on here Just for Food and Drink, or Just for Beauty and Style, so either way the categories don't mean anything to me.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• And feel free to go check the "newest questions" list for the other reason people prefer categories...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Interesting. I suppose that would be one way to look at it. The categories do make it easier to find particular subjects, though. I like to open Food and Drink and just see if anyone has posted tempting new dinner ideas.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I am glad there is a separate beauty & style category - obviously because it is my favorite. Those that have no interest it can avoid my Qs altogether.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• "After 5 years of fighting for it, I seriously doubt the special needs moms want to deal with all the idiots who know nothing about their situation being "helpful" again."

Problem is that any idiot can post in the Special Needs category. Or answer questions in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I agree that the categories are nice the way they are. Most of the time, I just go to the newest and scroll down. It is nice to be able to skip over categories that do not pertain to me. Yes, any idiot can post or answer in any category but having a category makes it easy for others to decide if it's something they want to venture into.

OP, also keep in mind that most questions on here aren't as simple as your example and by having them in a category, it helps the rest of us know if we are going to be able to help or not.

Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm running on very little sleep as I'm dealing with insomnia right now. Seriously just need someone to knock me out. Contemplating a "sick" day as I'm so tired I doubt I will be of any use.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2013