My 5 year old son has been acting out lately since the new baby came. He loves his new brother and is a big help but lately he finds it cool to pee everywhere. Last week he peed on the dog and today he peed in his heating vent. I've tried timeouts and taking his tv and games away but it doesn't seem to affect him. Any suggestions???

Lala0724

Asked by Lala0724 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My first thought would be Diaper's he may feel like being a big boy and use the toilet but if he pees everywhere maybe he needs to be treated like a baby and wear diaper's. A little reverse psychology may work

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Have you tried spending one-on-one time with him? Talking about how the new baby mkes him feel, and if he has concerns? If he feels the baby gets all the attention, maybe start pointing out things big boys do that babies aren't allowed to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:42 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'm with Ballad.

Apparently I was a real problem to my mom when my little brother arrived (I was about 2 1/2). She decided that I would have to do EVERYTHING the baby did. He got a bottle, I got a bottle. He went in the play pen, I went in the play pen. He took a nap....

Hold the presses! I was a nap hater. Despised naps. Sleep was (and still is) a great bore. And my brother was quite the napper! THe naps killed it. I started behaving myself after that.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• My son acted out a lot when our second child was born. The pediatrician said to tell him he and I, or he and my husband, were going to do some things that only big boys could do, like going out to lunch, playing in the yard, going on a bike ride, etc, etc. It worked like a charm. That one on one time was so important to let him know he had not been replaced. Plus we made him our big helper for everything we could think of. Made him feel very needed. And spending quality time at bedtime helped too. I think I would use diapers too if needed. No big deal, no anger, just matter of fact.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• He helps me around the house with dishes and laundry I read stories to him at bedtime I try and take him out every Friday just him and me and diapers won't work hell find a pull up to wear just so he can pee in it I can try doing more one on one time with him between the baby's naps just not sure what else to do
    Lala0724

Comment by Lala0724 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• It will take some time. Don't punish him. Maybe when the baby is sleeping, bake brownies with him. Tell him the baby can't have any because she's just a baby and can't eat food yet. Keep pointing out how helpful and good he is. It is a huge adjustment. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Thanks everyone :)
    Lala0724

Comment by Lala0724 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2013