Too mean?

Our kids have not been eating their dinner for the last week AT ALL. We never force them to eat. They have learned that they do not have to eat their dinner then when they wake up they get to have the breakfast of their choice which is usually something sweet like cereal. Since they are being difficult, my husband and I came up with an idea we think is genious and I am wondering what you all think?? We are going to feed them dinner for breakfast in the morning hoping they will learn that they cannot only eat sweets. We do not think it is okay to ever force a child to eat just in case they are not hungry. But we know they are because they are STARVING by the time morning rolls around. From an outsider perspective, what do you think?

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 10:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This is exactly what we do. If my daughter doesn't want to eat something, we serve it to her for the next meal. Even if that means dinner for breakfast. She eventually eats it.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'd rather have dinner for breakfast LOL! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! You don't have to have sweet stuff for breakfast!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It didn't work for Joan Crawford, but you might have better luck with it. Another option would be make breakfast plain oatmeal and a piece of fruit.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about dinner for breakfast, but maybe something more savory rather than sweet. Try eggs and bacon. Maybe do a skillet with veggies, eggs, and protein (sausage or bacon).
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Sounds like a plan to me.

Your kids will not STARVE if they skip a meal or two...they be OK. And they'll learn that not skipping dinner will not guarantee a breakfast of sweet stuff in the morning.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 10:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm not sure I like the idea of "tricking them". You might tell them the plan and see how they react. I wouldn't allow them to always have their choice of breakfast. And I wouldn't allow them to not eat some kind of dinner. Don't give up trying to find new ways to get them to eat. All just my opinion.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• by dinner for breakfast do you mean every morning or only on mornings after they skipped dinner? If it is only after a skipped dinner I like that idea. Teaches them not to waste food.
    I also liked Annon's idea of a plain breakfast.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i dont think its a bad idea but really the idea of dinner for breakfast makes me want to gag (I dont like to smell breakfast). Maybe something like oatmeal or granola and fruit?
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Only buy Wheaties, Raisin Bran and Oatmeal. They aren't so full of sugar. Dinner for breakfast sounds like a good idea! They need to get away from that habit of skipping dinner and eating sweet cereal for breakfast. Being so hungry from skipping dinner will make them overeat the sugary cereals in the morning. You should check the side label of the cereal box, and find the actual serving size. People usually eat 3-4 times the amount they are supposed to. Maybe if you start measuring out the actual serving size, they will realize it's not enough after skipping dinner. They may eat more dinner if they know they can't have large amounts of cereal in the morning, just a small amount.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 10:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The first thing that came to mind was Mommy Dearest.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2009