So angry, frustrated and sad.

A dear friend of mine who shares the same autoimmune disease(psoriatic arthritis) just died from complications from the medication. She was getting regular testing/checkups but someone her liver failed and she developed an internal bleed that they couldn't stop.

She was taking a medication I have taken in the past at nearly double the dose she was on. I'm just so frustrated that there is so little research devoted to our disease and that in order to live somewhat of a life we are forced to take these meds that can kill us.

Instead we deal with drugs that are horrible on our bodies and doctors that don't mind to study up and understand the differences of our disorder, they like to believe that it is just like Rheumatoid arthritis but it just is not.

Grrr....anyone else dealt with something similar?(have to make it a question).

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Health

• I am so sorry for your loss :(
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'm sorry for your loss. It's scary to me how willingly the medical profession sometimes hands out medications wose long-term effects are either unknown or unhealthy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:41 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• unfortantely it is a choice we have to make as patients becuase there isn't enough research to give us better options. There are a few colleges that are studying more safe options but they don't have the money and resources to do full on FDA studies. It is the drug companies that have that "power" and it is more profitable to create treatments then cures as you get lifetime clients.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• Just two months ago we had another member pass on because of Pnemonia she could not fight because of the medications.

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• I'm so sorry! There are many diseases out there that are under-researched and the research just isn't getting funded, especially for diseases that are more rare. It's so sad.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I'm sorry tnt. :( That's sad!

Can I ask what meds she was taking?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• It was Methotrexate it is a chemo drug used in lower doses to treat autoimmune illnesses.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I am so sorry for your loss hope they find something that works for your condition soon. Hugs
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2013