My 14 year old son has a fever of 101.8 should I rush him to the hospital

My 14 year old son got a 1/4 of an inch scratch on his neck, we think it was from a lea. Over the past two days it has gotten extremely red and has spread to about 3 inches across his neck. He now is running a fever of 101.8 what should I do

panickingmom

Asked by panickingmom at 11:43 PM on Jun. 12, 2013 in Health

• I think even without the fever the rash is enough to see a doctor. I don't think a fever alone is enough to warrant the visit but with the rash I would go, better safe then sorry.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• An older kid or an adult can handle a fever that high if he or she stays hydrated, but that rash is concerning. If you don't go to the emergency room tonight, I'd take him to an urgent care clinic or his doctor first thing in the morning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• With redness spreading and a fever to top it off I would definitely go in and get checked out.
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:52 PM on Jun. 12, 2013

• The fever alone isn't concerning. The fever in addition to having the sore on his neck that is spreading is enough to make me take him to the ER.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• ER
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• The fever will go eventually but you should definitely see a doctor for the rash.
    bettysch

Answer by bettysch at 5:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Call your doctor. And put something on that scratch. Alcohol, neosporin

Answer by louise2 at 6:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• fever+rash=doctor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• The fever is because the scratch, which is now a rash is infected. Fever is the body's natural response to infection. Take him to the doctor. While you don't need to "rush him to the hospital" you do need to get an appointment asap.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Sounds like an infection. I would get him there or to the doctor this morning.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2013