What is the difference in symptoms and treatment of depression brought on by grief and PPD?

Had baby #4 in September, and my sister passed away in April. I believe myself to be in the "depression stage" of grief.....but wonder if there's anything else going on at the same time. I have the classic symptoms of depression and have largely combatted "unhelpful thoughts" by recalling Scripture. That has been helpful...I just wish there was some way to figure out if I'm missing something I could be doing to help.

robinsegg24

Asked by robinsegg24 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Health

• I'm not sure there is any difference really. You need to consult with your physician to see what options he or she recommends. Also, if you are not keen on medications, remember there are always other options such as hypnotherapy and psychiatry that you could try.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:27 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Depression caused by grief may be considered more situational than PPD, with counseling as a treatment option so you can learn how to handle your feelings and what to expect as you deal with your loss. PPD, from what I understand, is more of a hormonal issue that might be treated with medications as well as counseling. It would be wise to see your doctor and ask if medications or a referral to a mental health specialist, or both, would help you. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I would consult a doctor regarding this. It could be either or. I wish you the best. and sorry for your loss. HUGS
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• greiving is nornal and will pass. ppd also should,with support. if not consult a therapist.God bless
    sandy292

Answer by sandy292 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2013