I have a 12 week old kitten has been feed with a bottle since about 4 days old now he plays with the other kittens but he only weighs 2 1/2 pounds but he will not eat any thing he smells food wet and dry but just shakes his head and runs back wards, he only wants his bottle, what can i do to get him to eat help please

misskitty77713

Asked by misskitty77713 at 4:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Pets

• Try getting a syringe and feeding him watered down wet cat food. This will get him used to the taste.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:27 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• spread the wet cat food out on a big plate and set him down in the middle of it. Let him walk through it and then lick his paws. Just keep putting him back on the plate and letting him clean it off his feet until he gets used to the flavor. I would *Not* syringe feed because that *could* make him avoid the food more than get him used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• What the others said

2-1/2 pounds is not small for a 12 week kitten. The typical weight of a 12-14 week kitten is 2-1/2 pounds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• VET, you know the same thing you should have done with the dog, take them to the VET
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Mash up the canned food really good or get the pate' kind and put some on his front paws so he will have to lick it off. Then, see if he eats it. Some cats need help trying new foods. You could also pour some of his baby formula over dry cat food to keep the familiar smell and taste he likes. Some cats also prefer the dry food to be softened with a *touch* of water since their teeth are still growing in. It could also be the flavor. Most cats like chicken and turkey but not beef. For dry food, I don't recommend anything that has corn or corn meal listed at the top of ingredients since it's just fillers. Look for Poultry, Chicken, Turkey, or Poultry Byproduct Meal. Some cats have food allergies as well. Try several kinds.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• When I have bottle raised kittens in the past I would take a little bit of wet food on my finger and put some in their mouth on the top. They have no choice but to taste it and usually they will eat what is in the bowl then.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2013