Washer and dryer help

Anyone have any recommendations on high efficiency w/d sets??? It's time for something new and last time I bought a washer, HE didn't exist and my dryer is from the late 80s and is almost older than me, :( so I'm lost.

swaney06

Asked by swaney06 at 6:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Shopping

• I have heard a lot of bad things about the HE W/D. Having to buy only HE laundry soap. They have a tedency to stink after a while. And the button on them break one person told me.
    I do not have one. When I bought my W/D the HE ones just came out. And were over my budget at the time. I bought a expencive regular set. sound like I am glad I did. Hearing all the bad things about the HE ones.

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• If you leave the door open on the washer between loads- it won't stink
    I love my set- front loading is nice and it does pretty large loads with no problem

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• You can read reviews online if you google 'HE washer reviews".  Here is one link below.  We just bought a traditional washer after reading about the others.  My DIL loves her HE washer and dryer combo and has them on stands so she does not have to bend as much, but these are her third set in 10 years.  I'll try to find out what brand they have.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/viewpoints/wash-machine/prweb9842440.htm

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• You are going to think I am crazy but if your washer & Dryer are still working then keep them & save your money. All the new ones are CRAP! They are not meant to last more than 5 years. I had a fantastic Whirlpool from the early '90's that the belts broke. So I thought hey lets get a new one instead! I bought a Maytag & it is a POS! It started to break down before I had it a year. Melting wires. numerous repairs, broke again. Finally I freaked out on the phone to Maytag direct & they sent a repair man for free. It's still crappy. I could kick myself for getting rid of my other one. My Sister has the HE & it's a POS too & stinks! Save your money until it can't be fixed. You'll thank me!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• My husband bought me the Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum HE w/d set. I LOVE them!! The washer is top load with no agitator. I literally have to go cliff diving to get to the bottom of it to get all the clothes out. It will wash a queen sized comforter with room to spare.

They are a little pricey, but worth every penny. My only frustration is that they didn't come with owner's manuals because we got them from Rent-A-Center. I can get those online though, I just haven't.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I have a front load he GE brand washer dryer on stands. I love not having to bend over and they will wash huge loads of clothes! The HE detergent isn't any more expensive than regular and I've had no problem with smell. I've had them for 2 years and love them! We got a great deal at Home Depot because they were a floor model but they were in perfect condition.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I bought an LG top-loading high-efficiency washing machine with no agitator a few years ago, and it's great. I don't have to take comforters, blankets, or big stuffed animals to a public laundry facility anymore because the tub is big, and the machine is so quiet you almost forget it's running.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• My DIL has a Maytag set and is very happy with it.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I honestly don't see a difference cleaning-wise between HE and non. We've had both before and they clean the same. We've used both HE and non-HE detergent, too. If you get HE, I'd recommend using liquid detergents & if you use non-HE detergent, you just use like 3/4 of what you'd normally use. HE detergents just have less sudsing agents, which don't affect how they clean. I do like how there's more room in HE washers with the middle agitator being minimized. Our water bill has been reduced, which is another bonus. We have the GE HE washer & dryer top load. Be sure to check if your state has a Rebate for energy efficient appliances.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2013