Anyone live in Houston tx?

My husband is being relocated from Vegas...he will be working at a restaurant in the galleria....I'm wondering what neighborhoods are family friendly and safe that is somewhat close by to galleria...thanks!!

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 10:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I hate Houston! It's a nightmare.I haven't lived there in a long time, but here is a bump for you.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Wow that's encouraging lol!
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Lol. I joke to my friends that my favorite place n Tx is seeing Houston in the rear view mirror. Find a place close to where your DH works so he won't have a bad commute. My friend lives 18 miles from her office and spends 2.5 hours each way in traffic daily! No joke.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I lived south of Houston for 5 years and wouldn't mind going back. The Galleria is sort of central to a lot of areas. Do you know what kind of commute time he is looking at? What times of the day would he normally be driving in? What kind of budget are you looking at?

Off the top of my head, Katy, TX (on the western outskirts of Houston on I-10) has a lot of nice neighborhoods that are very family friendly. Sugarland which is southwest of Houson by way of hwy 59 has a lot of great family areas, is safe and close for commute to the Galleria. We used to live in Sienna Plantation in Missouri City which if you look at a map is pretty much south of Houston by way of toll roads. The neighborhoods are great and they have wonderful community features. I really miss that neighborhood.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I would get out of Harris county if you are worried about schools (not sure if your kids are school age or if you plan on homeschooling). Fort Bend has some good schools. I'm not sure about Katy. Sugarland (which is also in Fort Bend county) has great schools. Harris county has some wonderful schools, but the areas they are located are usually very expensive. So unless you have a budget to match the price of real estate, then looking outside of Harris county is probably more finacially wise.

The Woodlands have some great neighborhoods as well, but that commute might be a little taxing.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Pearland (pronounced Pear Land) is also decent from what I have read and there are some growing communities that way.

Best thing to do if you aren't sure where you want to live is to come up with a budget for commuting. If you aren't very close in and you aren't using toll roads then the commute time can be hell. Toll roads cost you $, but they save a good bit of time. But if he isn't commuting during normal rush hours, then using highways and interstates will probably work fine.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Quinnmae thank u for your input!! While Houston is definitely not on the top of our list it's where his job is...so it is what it is for now...
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2013