What is this pain in my hand?

I was pushing myself up off the bed earlier and a sharp pain ripped through my right hand. I thought maybe I was just at a bad angle but the same thing happened a bit later when I was leaning on it. After that a dull ache started radiating through my wrist and up into my upper arm. The pain seems to be stemming from the bottom right side of my palm, near the base of my thumb. I am right handed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Health

• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Are you having any numbness? It sounds like you may have pulled something, stretched something wrong. Crafty can probably tell you more about what is going on than me....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I had something similar, and my doctor thinks it might be something called trigger finger. I'm supposed to see a hand specialist, but for some reason, they aren't getting me the referral I need. Mine is somewhat intermittent and hasn't bothered me lately *knock on wood*, so I'm not concerned at the moment.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I get that kind of pain sometimes from repetitive motions like with typing. Also, holding the hands at the same angle for a long time while doing tasks. The last time I had it particularly badly was when I was pumping breastmilk every day and I had to change the way I held the pumping bells over my nipples.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2013