Could you work at an animal shelter?

I couldn't. I have friends who are very avid animal activists and constantly post pictures on FB of animals in our county's shelter that are on the next day's euth list. It's so hard seeing the pictures of little puppies/kittens and some are with their moms and they are all facing an inevitable death. It's just awful. I know those employees are just doing their jobs but I could never do that. I have two rescue kitties and wish I could adopt them all! :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Pets

• No. I couldn't work at a children's hospital either.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Not without becoming an animal hoarder.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No. I like animals one or two at a time, but I don't like the smell that accompanies large groups of animals in enclosed spaces.

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I couldn't. Too many heartbreaking stories. I'd end up like the crazy old lady with eight dogs and forty-one cats.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No way. I am allergic to cats but I couldn't not go home with a dog or a cat every day. :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I could not as I have a strong aversion to bad smells. But I commend the people who do it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I can't even be the one to agree to put my pet to sleep when I know it's absolutely necessary (due to illness or something). There is no way I could go in there and know that it was happening to dozens of animals every day. No way.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• when my kids are a little older i plan on becoming a foster owner. it atleast buys the animal (and another animal that takes the cage of the one you're fostering) more time until it can be adopted, which is really the reason they get euthanized. lack of space :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No way. I always feel like I want to save the world, but I also, I don't like being around cats and dogs. When I was trying to find a home for the tortoise my husband saved, I went to the animal foundation's website to their "other" category and was wanting to adopt two ducklings, several guinea pigs, some chickens, and a parakeet. I cannot be trusted around animals with sob stories.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No. I love animals but the smell would bother me
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2013