2 statements by the Southern Baptist Convention (aka 2nd largest Christian church in the US).

Big Baptist group urges ouster of Boy Scout execs

1) they have passed a resolution demanding the resignation of the Boy Scout Execs who approved the inclusion of gay scouts

2)they openly admit that the only reason they sponsor BSA troops is: "because it gives us access to more families and more boys to share the life-saving gospel of Jesus Christ."

So I wonder 1) who the hell do they think they are to  demand the execs resign in the first place and 2) do people in the communities where the only local troop for their sons happens to be a SBC sponsored one realize they are only sponsoring the troop as a chance to proseltyze to and convert their sons?  (Keep in mind that means converting all the Christians of other denoms who are "doing it wrong" not just the non-Christians)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I don't know much about boy scouts so I can't comment on whether or not the troop is going to "convert" their sons, but you do realize that just because the SBC might be the 2nd largest church in the US doesn't mean all of it's followers agree with those statements?
    Anonymous

• but you do realize that just because the SBC might be the 2nd largest church in the US doesn't mean all of it's followers agree with those statements?

Do you realize that if you are a member of a denomination you don't agree with when there are literally thousands of others to choose from, you're either too lazy to leave or perhaps you don't disagree as much as you'd want people to believe? If you're showing up and tithing, THIS is the policy you are supporting, whether you agree with it or not. By identifying as such, you are identifying as a member of a group that supports such thing. It's like saying there are members of the klan who don't hate black people...well if that's the case, why be a member?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• But each church is different. By being an American, am I supporting the prohibition of gay marriage? Why shouldn't I just move to another country and become a citizen there?
    Anonymous

• "But each church is different. "

While I know the Southern Baptists don't conform to any hierarchy, if someone is speaking out for your congregation as a whole either you (generally speaking) or your individual congregation need to consider if you agree with the way you are personally being represented by associating with the Convention for doing so.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• For example, being pro-equality myself, there is NO way I'd associate or identify with a church that didn't align with my feelings in that respect, especially on such a scale as speaking from the collective in the form of the "convention." Or any other issue I felt was of great importance. I can understand minor doctrinal disagreements or what have you, but usually those who are "pro-gay" would care enough not to affiliate with a congregation or denomination known for its anti-gay stance, whether that stance is unified or general.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• (lol, should say speaking out for your *denomination* as a whole - sorry!)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I understand. But what does that say about my American citizenship and my pro-gay marriage belief? I would never join a group that believed in something I didn't. But some people are born into their religion, grew up in it, and it is all they know and have no desire to call themselves anything else just because they don't agree with SOME things that SOME people in the belief say or do.
    Anonymous

• So because I am American, I was born here, raised here, live here, my family is here, my life is here, it is all I know and I don't want to leave and start over somewhere just because gays can't marry here am I wrong for paying my taxes and consciously remaining an American citizen?
    Anonymous

• But each church is different.

That's nice. There are 45,000 congregations sending them money every week. If they don't agree with them, why are they doing it? Again, it's like joining the klan, insisting you like black people, but still sending them the check each month while saying you tend to focus on other races instead.

Your bad analogy is flawed specifically because as an American, you have the right to change the policies of the country through multiple channels.

Meanwhile, this is a lovely attempt at derailing this question, but let's get it back on track, shall we?

Who the hell are they to demand resignations and do families know they are being targeted for conversion?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• "But what does that say about my American citizenship and my pro-gay marriage belief?"

Well, are you one of the Americans standing up for marriage equality? There is a difference between CHOOSING a denomination and merely happening to be born in a country by CHANCE. My point was that if someone really CARES about something - in this case, homosexuality - they're either going to raise a fuss and try to make a change in their group or they're going to look for a group that aligns more with their feelings. If there are congregations speaking out saying they disagree, great for them. But if people let others speak for them and represent them and do or say nothing to contradict that, then it's their own fault, for LETTING people see them as a united whole and not speaking out or leaving, if people assume that the Conference speaks for everyone in the denomination.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2013