Would you vote for him?

"Candidate for Lt. Governor of Virginia: Witchcraft “Wrong and Dangerous"

(source in the link above  - I don't usually c/p articles, so if I need to edit for TOS, let me know)

"Jackson opined about Witches, Buddhists, and other non-Christian “spiritual” people in his 2008 book “Ten Commandments To An Extraordinary Life.”

“There are those who engage in witchcraft, fortune telling, Tarot Card, tea leaf and palm reading and other “spiritual” practices. These practices are wrong and dangerous. They are spoken of as an “abomination”—a particularly detestable sin—in the sight of God. They bring a terrible curse on the person who engages in such things, and you do so at your own peril. [...] Non-Christian religions have their own values which are often highly questionable. Yet there is a remarkable deference paid to any religious system that does not include Christ as the Son of God. Affinity for anything but what is truly of God is the nature of spiritual death?”

That’s just a taste, Jackson is full-blown adherent of Christian spiritual warfare principles, thoughhe’s been trying to soft-peddle his ardent Christian beliefs as more and more scrutiny has been paidto the many, frankly outrageous, statements he has made over the years.

“He was soft-spoken and earnest as I questioned him about how his religious beliefs interact with his political views. Christian values make us free, Jackson told me, and people should live as they see fit as long as they don’t hurt others. While he opposes same-sex marriage, he said he wouldn’t support any sort of ban on gay sex. He also said there shouldn’t be any legal sanction of a religion, and that he would oppose a constitutional amendment naming Christianity as America’s official religion. But that doesn’t mean that our culture isn’t historically Judeo-Christian, he added, and influenced by the Bible. Acknowledging that isn’t an imposition of religion.”

This creates a quandary of sorts for voters in Virginia concerned about the treatment of minority religions: which E.W. Jackson do we believe? Do we believe the “soft-spoken and earnest” Jackson who tells us he opposes legal sanctions on any religion, and that he opposes naming Christianity as America’s official religion, or do we believe the man whose rhetoric implies that there’s disaster on the horizon if Christians don’t “rise up?”"

There's more actually in the link, but I clipped the most relevant of it.

Which version of this guy do YOU believe? If you could say anything to him (or those who may vote for him), or ask him anything, what would you say/ask?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I would question whether clergy can be neutral in office, because to do so would mean they were lying in their role as clergy, would it not?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't trust him to be truly religiously neutral. If for instance, he had to decide whether or not a Wiccan festival could be held on private property, I'd see the likelihood that he would bar it, stating something like he 'consciously could not allow that to happen for the safety of the community'.

Not that I trust politicians anyway. They say what they think the voters want to hear.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• While he opposes same-sex marriage, he said he wouldn’t support any sort of ban on gay sex.

Missed this bit before - that's so NICE of him, he won't let them get married, but he'll allow them to have sex. I'd use the roll eyes sweetpea but I don't think they roll enough.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No I would not vote for him.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No, I wouldn't. An extremist of any kind is dangerous to put in a position of power.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Short answer: NO
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• ewww...no!

i always love when Christians say "non-Christians" when talking about evil and "wrongness". its like, "the Jewish faith is good enough to base Christianity on, its good enough to keep a very large chunk of it in the Bible...but its wrong!!" especially the part about "non-Christians have their own morals"...cause Jews & Muslims have a different God of course therefore different morals...what an idiot.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Probably not, but I'd have know about the people running against him.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• "Probably not, but I'd have know about the people running against him"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_lieutenant_gubernatorial_election,_2013 ;)

bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Good god, where the hell do they find these freaks?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2013