Have you been contributing to the worst charities in America?

A Florida paper has been publishing an ongoing series on which charities keep the largest percentage of donations for themselves and/or have shady accounting practices. The link to the entire series is here:

http://www.tampabay.com/topics/specials/worst-charities.page

The link for the list of the 50 worst offenders is here:

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Mainly children, cancer patients, veterans and civil servants being exploited for those.

What method(s) do you use to check out the charities you support?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. But we do not donate a lot at once to any charity. The only group we donate large amounts to is Autism Speaks. Other than that is is a few dollars here and there to March of Dimes, Our local Spectrum group and other things you run across in check out lines to 'round up' or add a dollar, ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Nope... we only donate to the summer camp that I worked at for years. I was on the Board so I really do know how the money is used.

Scary how many law enforcement agencies are on that list!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I donate directly to things I know 100% of my money is going to the person in need.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• For the most part, I like to contribute to local charities where I know the people and believe in what they're doing. But looking at what portion of donations goes for administration costs is pretty effective. I have a bachelor's in nonprofit management so I know a lot of ways charities tend to hide administration costs in other parts of the budget, but generally if you get a place that gives eighty percent or more of the money it takes in through fundraising to those who are supposed to benefit, that's not too bad.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• The largest charity we donate to is Smile Train. They provide cleft palate surgery to poor children around the world including the US. They spend less than 20% of money raised on staff and fundraising. The rest goes to providing surgery.

They way I confirm this and any charity is to check them on the BBB (Better Business Bureau) website which has a 20 point checklist that a charity must pass before BBB declares them certified.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I donate to United Way. 89% of what is raised goes back into the community.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• if i had money to donate to charities, i would look into what they do with the money at the local level. but at this moment donating to charities is not in the budget...someday...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• We don't donate to any of those on the list.

Sad that children with AIDS get exploited for nothing in return.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Wow- that's quite a list. Thanks for sharing that. Luckily I don't donate to any of them, but the Kids Wish one called me recently. I thought it sounded shady, b/c I had only heard of the Make A Wish foundation. The only charities I donate to are local.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2013