Is this not Autism!? Is my sister in denial or what?

My nephew is 5 and supposed to start kindergarten in the fall. I spend a lot of time with my sister and her family. I have a child with high functioning Autism. She thinks I am 'reading to much into' the thing her son does to make *me* feel better?

So anyway... he is 5 and he still talks in fragments 99% of the time and refers to himself in the third person.
'Want juice' 'Jacob's cookie' 'No touch Jacob's car!'

Anytime anyone tries to touch his things he jumps up and down yelling No touch Jacob's ____!!! over and over again and even after they back away he keeps going until you make him really stop to see they have moved away.

He eats the same breakfast every morning for breakfast. Oatmeal with apples. If they run out he refuses to eat.

He will only sleep in fleece pajamas... even in the summer.

He randomly clapps his hands 3-4 times all day long.

There is more but those are a few examples.

Am I crazy or is this not normal behavior for a child who is 5 and 3 months old about to start kindergarten?

Oh! She says he is just immature because he can already read. Just because he can read she thinks there is nothing 'wrong' with him. I just can't get her to see it. I have only mentioned it to her twice and I won't again. I am sure the school will see it in the fall.

But you guys agree with me right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Special Needs

• like you said... if it is the school will see it in the fall. Unless you have a medical degree you should probably stay out of it. You may be too close to the situation, and/or the kid might just be quirky.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• This kid is not normal and I feel sorry for him that his mother is so blind. I am staying out of it from here on out so don't you worry about it. In fact I am not even seeing them as often anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• There are come kids that are more baby-ish than others. Doesn't meant he is autistic.

Anonymous

• Let me add to the list for ya'll.

He refuses to play with other kids. If he is at a playground and another kid tries to play with him he will push the kid down and walk off.

He was kicked out of preschool this year because he would refuse to sit in circle time and when they had a 'sports day' ( they all went out and tried new sports) He flipped out and smacked a teacher across the face making her nose bleed and after he had already shoved the entire class to the floor on a daily basis they drew the line. I watched him for a while while she worked out her 2 week notice. She blamed the school. Saying they had 'made' him aggressive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• in regards to aggressive behavior- it was TMNT, Power Rangers and daycare.
    Once I began limiting my son's TV viewing and became a SAHM he returned the the sweetie I knew he was. But- there were about 6 months there I began to really worry about the kid.

We even had raging meltdowns in the stores, where if it happened now, someone would have assumed he was solidly on the spectrum.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Sounds like he has some delays definitely. Autism has certain criteria that has to be present for diagnosis. I'm surprised her pediatrician hasn't noticed anything, but the schools should in the fall. Some people have a hard time being objective about their child, most people do, so I would just let it be and be there for her if and when she does get a diagnosis

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• See he is not aggressive for the sake of being aggressive and he is not playing rough. He is trying to get them away from him. But hey, I give- if you guys all think I am nuts to then maybe I am. I can't wait for him to start school so if he is just 'babyish' they can whip him into shape and maybe teach him how to let other kid sit beside him... or diagnose him... because this poor kid...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I'm surprised her pediatrician hasn't noticed anything

He has not been to a ped in about 2 years. Not since he had to go for a rash. She doesn't do vaccines so no yearly visits. She swore off vaccine when my son was diagnosed while she was pregnant. (I never blamed the vaccines-she did and then had a fit when I continued to vaccinate.)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I think it would be worth having the child evaluated, but if your sister won't listen to your concerns, there's nothing you can do. Hopefully if there is a problem, the school will step in before years go by and the kid doesn't get the help he needs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• no body said you were nuts.
    we are simply looking at the information provided from a different point of view.

and if you are right, then what? especially considering after bringing it up twice you wont again?

and even without vaccines the kid should get seen by the doc. he should be checked to ensure his testicles are descended, he doesn't have scoliosis, his hips are properly aligned, his height and weight is on scale (either WHO or CDC) and various other conditions
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2013