Can you help me figure out what to charge for watching these kids?

Everyone keeps wanting me to watch their kids and I need to figure out a rate for everyone, except a slight discount for my neighbor/close friend.

I live in a remote location in a canyon. The only daycare in town charges 20 bucks per day and they do Not provide food.

I'm happy providing healthy food, but I at least need compensation for it. I had 8 kids yesterday and they devoured everything in my house. I just restocked last Saturday! That chick said she'd pay me, but didn't; she sent her boyfriend to get them.

My problem figuring it out is most of them are only here half day. Sometimes longer, but hardly ever all day. It's usually lunch and snack. However yesterday's fiasco turned into lunch, snack, dinner and another bedtime snack.

What do you think is a fair rate and discounted rate for my neighbor. I hope this makes since. I still have to kids right now and they re driving me nuts with recorder. Lol.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 7:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• Hourly rate makes sense for drop in occasional care but not for consistent weekly care. I would say $25-30/day for a maximum of 6-9 hours (whatever makes sense for you). They need a set pick up time and then an additional charge for late pickup.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• I would not do discounted rates for anyone. If another parents somehow finds out (these things do happen) there could be a HUGE or deal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• cheap day care here is $35/day, some with food provided.... I wouldn't do it for less that that! Also law here also says no more then 6 kids with one adult for an in home day care... might want to check on that in your state!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Are you licensed to keep that many kids or does your state not do that? I would charge 35 a day and not allow them to eat everything in your home. I would provide meals and snacks at age appropriate serving sizes and leave it at that. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/41544438/Food-Guide-Pyramid-Serving-Sizes
    Anonymous

• *ordeal
    But_Mommie

• I paid in-home daycare costs for a short while, snacks and lunch provided, and got a great deal at $8 an hour. I'd say that's a place to start, wit a half hour minimum, and only give a discount if your neighbor can keep a tip top secret. Oh, and ask the parens to pitch in on groceries. Make a sign-up sheet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2013