How do I potty train my four year old who has autism?

akd2009

Asked by akd2009 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• PECS. Talk with her preschool teacher and/or OT. Depending on her level of functioning she may of may not be ready. My son with autism didnt fully train until he was 6 and that was early compared to the other students in his class.
    Find a reward system that works for her. With my son we used honey buns (his one on one worker at the time had a husband that worked for Lance so we bought them wholesale by the case!). Build potty time into her schedule, make it routine

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• PECS and patience. This could also go in the new Special Needs Category.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• if using big toilet, use an insert with handles, and a stool for feet...think of making child as steady and secure as possible

mine had issue with all the steps of getting clothing off and steps to actually go , so i did "naked" potty training, put her in long T shirt dress and nothing underneath, when she had to go, she only had to raise the dress...this only works of child HATES pee running down her leg (which thankfully mine did)... i used her sensory issues with water (wetness) and it worked

if reward thing works for yours- find whatever is his or her biggest currency and use that
    i tried sticker chart ....did nothing for mine
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2013