My youngest is graduating high school and I feel weird.

Where did the time go? I wish I could go back and do some things differently. Feeling kind of sad /let down.

He's commuting to college so I wouldn't have an empty nest. What's wrong with me? I'm excited about this new chapter in his life. Feel so weird emotionally!

Any advice or words of wisdom appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My oldest graduated last year, I cried but am good now. When the baby goes ill bawl and bawl and bawl
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Mine is going off to kindergarten in the fall and I feel the same way. Where did the time go? What could I have done better? o rgrets, Mama! Onward and upward!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• You will adjust. We've had an empty nest for several years now, and we are really enjoying the lack of parental responsibilities. We missed them terribly at first, but if we don't want, we don't have to do a lot of the things we once had to do. Take heart. You will be fine!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2013

• You feel very happy that your son is grown up and you want him to succeed in life, however you don't want to let him grow up remember ring all the fun times when he was little. You are feeling very normal for your current situation.
    rls113

Answer by rls113 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• It is hard & it will take time to adjust to a new way of parenting. Some of the dynamics in the parent/child relationship change & that part can be very difficult at times. They start pulling away even more b/c their lives get busier. So you just have to try to make the most of the good moments you get to still spend together as a family. I have 2 graduated & 1 starting 6th grade in the Fall. It's hard for me sometimes to wrap my head around that. But sometimes it helps if instead of looking back & missing how things used to be, I treasure those memories & look forward to the things to come. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• It is normal to feel this way, your baby is grown up, a new stage in your life, you are not as needed anymore (or so you think) but embrace the change, flow with it, it is not that bad. We spend years nurturing and then one day poof, they are gone, hugs!

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Your feelings sound normal. But hard, challenging, uncomfortable.
    This milestone, this time of transition, gives you a chance to "confront" some things that you may have avoided noticing or dealing with because of your routine. This is what the shift in your comfort zone exposes. It may reveal ways in which you have "lost" yourself, or the degree to which you have identified yourself (or affirmed your worth) in or through others, or through roles. This shift may reveal self-doubt or uncertainty about Self, about who you are, whether you matter, whether or not you're "okay" or "enough" just as you are.
    Those prospects can feel scary. But it's probably true that the realization is what is most hurtful or threatening....thus intimidating. Turning toward what feels scary/threatening is generally pretty positive (not easy, not necessarily painless, but positive and affirming.)
    The way "out" is through, mama!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2013