Suggesting Jesus was not resurrected is "not age appropriate" for a high school, saying he was is age appropriate?

Have a feeling this school is screwed - on what grounds can it be justified that quotes from the bible might be too mature for high school students to read, but the actual bible (which still contains the same quotes) is not?

http://ffrf.org/uploads/legal/OCSchools-Distribution-Complaint.pdf

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Neither group should have been passing out anything in the public schools, but I do think reading the entire Bible gives a much clearer picture than reading certain verses pulled out and inserted in a pamphlet (pro Christian or not)

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Obviously free thought is far too dangerous for teens but, brainwashing with a highly violent & graphic book is acceptable at any age.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Yeah, I think even a middle school age child can see the fault in logic on that one. Something tells me the school is going to lose this case.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• from the case...
    "Our public schools exist to educate, not to serve as conduits for advertisers, proselytizers, and special interest groups seeking to propagandize a captive audience of young students. Plaintiffs prefer that no dissemination of outside materials, such as Bibles or their own literature, occur in Orange County Public Schools. But since Defendants are allowing distributions, all viewpoints must now be granted fair and equal access."

^^this i agree with...no one should be passing out anything religious. and yeah...i fail to see any logic in allowing the Bible but not sections of the Bible that show its inappropriateness. even in correct context there are parts of the Bible that are disturbing and violent...and even tho most high schoolers are old enough to read about it (they see it on TV/movies anyways) its not something the school should be promoting.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Neither group should be passing anything out on a school campus, regardless of whether it's elementary, middle or high school. While I want my kids to do their own research and decide for themselves what spiritual path, if any, is right for them, I wouldn't want someone at the school giving them stuff like that. Aside from the fact that I'm not there to try to give some balance to what would be possibly a lopsided view of whatever it is, kids are taught to listen to, respect, etc. the adults on campus. I feel it's kind of a captive audience, and not appropriate.

But...if they are going to allow one group to pass out materials, then all groups should have that same access, with the same restrictions, or lack thereof.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• One is blasphemy -the other isn't.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I hope the school loses.. that is a crock of shit right there.
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 3:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2013