I carried you for 9 months! Uphill...both ways...barefoot...in the snow...

It's funny on a sitcom, but in real life? Is it ok to use the "I'm your mother and I (insert sacrifice here) for you" to guilt kids into doing things?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• No. nobody asks to be born or conceived.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• No, it wasn't their choice to be conceived.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Absolutely! Guilt has to be a part of any mother's arsenal. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• It's good to put things in perspective for them. I don't try to out and out guilt my kids, but I do help them realize that things are done for them all the time and sacrifices they may not see are made as well. They still act like entitled so and sos sometimes, but then again, sometimes they realize that they are super lucky.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I don't think it is ok, the guilt trip does not work, I do what I have done for my kids because i chose to do it, no need to give anything back.....

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My Mom is the ultimate "Guilt Queen"! It worked for us as kids. I just don't have that ability nor do I succumb to guilt at ALL. Good? Bad? I don't know. My Sister is the most guilt ridden person I know from my Mom. She was the first child & I am the last.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• no need to give anything back.....
    Answer by older a minute ago

^^ agreed- as long as they have shown some appreciation & respect for you too. I think we all deserve at least that much. So when they do start acting like ^^ tess said, a gentle reminder about reality doesn't hurt every now & then.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Guilts fun sometimes ( silly stuff) but not as a everyday weapon of choice
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I admit I say things like that jokingly. But only when the kids are fully aware that I'm just kidding.

I do things for my kids because I want to, but I do expect things in return like doing the chores I assign, showing respect, etc.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I'll jokingly say to my kids "I carried you in my tummy". As long as it's not a weapon, it's fine.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2013