Does your child have a security object?

my middle one has a pink bunny toy- it's just a bunny head and the rest is a blanket. she calls it 'baby' and has been sleeping with it since she was an infant. now at 4 and a half she still carries it everywhere. im thinking she might take this thing to college! occasionally now she's somewhat starting to leave it behind, but it's very infrequent.

does your child have one and when did they start to separate themselves from it?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Depends - are you asking me or him? LOL

He has a giant teddy bear DH brought him when he was really sick about 5 or 6 years ago. At the time, the bear was bigger than he was. He tells him all his secrets and still sleeps with him, though he uses him for a pillow more often than not. During the storm the other night, they were both camped out on the couch together until the power came back on.

But I didn't tell you that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• im thinking she might take this thing to college!

As for this - my cousin's toy was so loved it fell apart sometime around high school, and at some point during college she had it tattooed on her. They never really give them up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• LOL, I still have my blankie from when I was a baby. That thing has gone everywhere with me since I was little.

DS has a blankie and a few stuffed animals that he takes to sleep with. He never has carried anything around that much, all his stuff is for sleeping with. I think Monkey is the only one that has been consistent since he was a baby. The rest he switches out when he gets new ones. He has about 6 right now that are his favorites and rotates which ones he takes when we go out of town.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Two of my kids had those, one was a raggedy Ann, and the other one a teddy bear, they both still have it at the ripe of the 25 and 34.....

Answer by older at 10:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My 2nd has an Elmo stuffed toy. He still carried it everywhere when he was 3 - it went to preschool and we'd stuff it in his backpack at the last moment. At 13, it's now stuffed at the bottom of his bed and he would deny it to his last breath, but he still has it! (of course, if he didn't I would keep it anyway for sentimental reasons).
    My 4th has a blue bear (bear head with silky blanket) and he stopped carrying it everywhere around 2 1/2 but now at 4 he still sleeps with it. My 5th has a pink kitty (cat head with silky blanket) and at almost 3 kitty still goes everywhere.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Our kids had a special blanket each and it was for the bedroom only. I didn't want to be searching frantically for it some night! I don't remember when they gave them up, but our oldest kept his longer. Each one gave it up on their own. We did joke about them maybe being packed in their college stuff!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• NP, my son took his teddy bear to the University!

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• both of mine have animal head blanket things like you described. DD's is a bear and DS's is a monkey. they go EVERYWHERE with my kids, however, i laid down some rules. they cant go to school and they can no longer go inside stores. DD lost her "bubba" at Walmart a few months ago and was so sad! i had never seen her cry like that! but luckily, they found him and called us a few days later. so DD knows she can survive without him, but he's still very special to her.

DH still has his favorite stuffed animal and the pieces of his blankie. he still loves the thing like a child would but doesnt sleep with them or anything. mine is in a plastic tub in the garage haha. we just cant get rid of them!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Dd has her stuffed Minnie Mouse. We can't even go to Walmart without her. She's only 4 and I've already had to secretely replace it once lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My son is special needs. he is 17YO,he carries a hanger. WHY??? IDK,it is what he favors.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2013