NEED ADVICE! NO BASHING PLEASE!

i just foudn out today we are expceting number 2.. and I smoke.. please dont bash.. i smoked with my son (but cut back 2 three a day) and i want to quit this time.. howevre my doc told me with my first one no meds and not to quit cold turkey... any adivce?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know there are certain supplements/vitamins that one can take when they are trying to quit smoking to aide in the withdrawal. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is ... :-( You may be able to do some research on a holisic nutrition site or see that kind of doctor.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 10:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• take it slow... work by lower the number by one cig every 3-4 days. If you only smoke 4-5 a day now you can lower one every week. It is how my sister stopped after 20 years of chain smoking. she didnt use the gum or anything, she tried at first but it didnt help at all. Hope this helps =]
    caitylady88

Answer by caitylady88 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would say Start to slow down to 3 a day and then within the next two weeks 2 a day and I would try and take it down to 1 a day and then quit. Its whats best for the baby and you. Try and chew gum when you get the feeling you want a cig. Its going to be the hardest thing you have ever done but totally worth it! Good Luck to ya! :)
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You just have to quit. I know from personal experience that this is easier said than done, but you just have to suck it up!

Good luck and stay strong!
    Anonymous

• i had a hard time quitting but i knew i had to, for some reason and some how i got my brain to believe that everytime i had a cig it would make me sick and i couldn't stand smoking them because i would always get sick so then it kinda just stopped and it took a few weeks or so and boom it was done
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have no ideas. I am not a smoker but I want to say good for you. Don't be scared to totally quit this time, I am sure you can do it!!! Addictions are really hard but it will be the best thing for you and your baby.
    BTW, Congrats on your pregnancy!!!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'd say cut back slowly. Also, dump an ashtray into a zip top bag. Then, when you have a smoking craving open the bag and take a sniff. My mom had to quit for her health, COPD, pulmanary hypertention, & heart failure, and she swears by that. She has an ashtray in her car and when she starts wanting a smoke she takes her oxygen tank out to the car and gives it a good sniff.

Yes, I'm also try to scare you to quit. I almost lost my mom I don't what your dear little ones to have to go through that.

Good luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It wasn't hard for me to quit. You just have to find the determination to do it, but take it slow and don't beat yourself up over messing up a couple of times. Cutting back is better than not trying. and no matter what, be proud of yourself for whatever progress you have made. Even if that is just cutting back to a few or cutting cold turkey. Always congratulate yourself at how hard you are working and it will help alot.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• the doctors who say "dont quit cold turkey" need to get shot in the head.

i was a heavy smoker.. until i realized im pregnant. i threw them all away. no regrets, no doubts.. only the thought of my unborn baby. that should be more important than a damn smoke.

it wasnt easy sometimes. but i knew its the best for my baby.

if you want to be a good mommy, then quit.. cold turkey... best you can do for you and your child.

cutting back doesnt help at all, since you still give your baby the smoke every day.

might want to read on the internet what smoke causes to your unborn baby and which long time issues it can cause. that should help to quit turkey ;)

i wish you good luck. i know its hard, really hard, but you can do it, if you want to.

congratulations on the new baby!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with m.robertson811!
    Good luck, the thought of possibly harming your unborn child should be all that is needed for you to quit!
    Do whats right mama, I know you can do it, no matter how hard, think of your BABY!!!!!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009