RSVP for an Affair??

My DH & I got an invite that included the kids. I have to send the RSVP card back. My DH & son are going to attend but the baby & myself are not.

So, should I write:

Mr. "blank" & Son will gladly attend

or

Mr. "blank" & "blank" will gladly attend
Mrs. "blank" & "blank" will regretfully be unable to attend.

Should I only put who will attend or include that myself & baby will also not attend??

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• I'd probably go with the second, as it makes it perfectly clear. The first one should be clear, but if they're rushing through quickly, they might just see "will gladly attend" and go with that for all of you. With the second one, seeing "will gladly attend" and "regretfully will not attend" should slow them down to read it thoroughly.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• You might want to re-headline to "RSVP for an event." **grin** "Affair" has such a loaded connotation!

Most reply cards only ask for number of people. Sometimes they ask for names. The function of a reply card is to get a head count for the caterer, that's all. Any way you choose to do it is dandy as long as it gives them an accurate head count.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• If you are being this formal, Mr. is the same for adults and male children. The plural is Messrs.

Messrs. Fred and Tony Blank will gladly attend.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Yeah, I agree with Wendy, the second one lets them know for sure!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Oh my gosh, I read the question and was thinking, who the hell sends and RSVP for an affair? I'm glad there's no affair involved!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I'm old ... LOL! I call somersaults tumblesaults! Until I was corrected here! It's also not a word on spell check! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• This is just a blank card with no number space. Just the name at the top of who the Party is for. Good idea Wendy!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2013