DH sold the ring for $5, worth $23000.00

Seen this on GMA. she put the ring in a wood box, put it up in a closet. He was getting stuff ready for a garage sale. He didn't know it was in their. After they found out they sold it. They went on local tv to see if they could get it back. Some one brand the ring back. Would you have brought the ring back? I would have had a hard time giving the ring back. And not selling it.

GMA  reported it as, sold the box for $5.  I did get my fax right.

Asked by louise2 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• As much as I would dream of keeping the ring and selling it, I don't think I could live with myself if I did. I'd return it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• The box was sold for $10 not 5 (it helps to actually READ the article) and YES I would have returned the ring. a) the purchase was made for the BOX b) It's the RIGHT thing to do and the ring was a family heirloom. It doesn't matter how much it was worth. c) I'm not a heartless bitch
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Within the law I believe t=you are right, but this is also a matter of moral responsibility and conscience.

When DH and I were first married we were struggling to keep food in our mouths. He got a job that required he wear a suit to work. He had the suit he was married in, so I stopped at garage sale and found one I thought he would like, and asked if he could try it on.
    She had a curtained area and it fit DH to a tee It was more than we wanted to spend $5 whole dollars but it would help him at work. For some reason DH stuck his hands down in the pockets. When he came back out. Dh told her he wanted the suit but he wanted her to check all the suit pockets first because he had found $100.00 in the pocket. We are talking 37 years ago.
    The lady smile sweetly and told us that this was one of her lte husbands suits. His favorite as a matter of fact. He had told her that his wish was that she find a way to pass on
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• a few young and promising men and husbands. She placed the $100.00 there on purpose and her husband and she wished us to have it and remember to bless others. We started not to take it but in the end we did. That lady helped us in ways she might never know. The financial was nice but fleeting. The lesson in kindness and a generous heart stayed with us.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• If I found the ring I would return it immediately. It came from a garage sale not an auction where you don't know who theowner may have been. Keeping sentimental items like that & not returning it because of the error is crappy & when you do shit like that it comes back to you 3 times worse in ways you can't even imagine. I would equate it as a form of stealing. I was working in a clothing store while I was in College. I found an antique watch in the fitting room. I brought it right to the register & gave it to my Manager. A few hours later an elderly Woman came to get it & cried & thanked me. It was very sentimental to her. I was so glad she got it back. Good things happen when you do good for others & vice versa.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I would take it back. I bought the box, NOT the ring. I couldn't imagine being a bitch enough to keep something that obviously meant so much to someone else, especially since I didn't actually pay for it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I would return it without hesitation. All I'd ask is to get my $5 back.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Oh wow! I'd probably have to give it back, as much as I need the money that would be devastating for a family.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Actually NO, as the transaction was for THE BOX. Then again I don't expect you to know much about actual legal claims etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I would bring the ring back. I would want someone else to do the same for me if I were in that position. It's the right thing to do. I wouldn't feel right about keeping something that was unknowingly sold to me that meant that much to someone else.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2013