I am going to rip my hair out and run screaming down the road like an insane person!

I love my 5 year don't get me wrong but omg he is on my last nerve! He had a chance to eat at grandma's today and told her he wasn't hungry. Then he told me he IS hungry and wants Mcdonalds. I told him no, if he wants to eat then he will eat at home. So we get home and I am making mac and cheese while washing dishes and vacuuming the floor. So he goes over and dumps the cheese into the macaroni while it is still boiling then dumps in a bag of coco mix! So I dump it all in the trash and make him some hot dogs. Then he says that he doesn't like hot dogs that he wants the mac and cheese to which I say, well you ruined the mac and cheese so you have to have hot dogs. So he throws his lunch in the trash and pouts and by now I am close to tears. I told him I don't know what he wants me to do he won't eat anything so then he says a peanut butter sandwich. So I make him one and he sits there, looks at it and starts crying. I ask him why he is crying....he says.."I wanted hot dogs!" I turned around and walked out of the room. Do most 5 year olds act this way or is mine just a brat?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 1:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if the kid refuses to eat you are not punishing him with food or with holding meals
    please remember also, you are not a short order cook
    if he doesnt want whats offered then so sad too bad
    the next meal time is at____.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Don't cater to him! He will eat when he is hungry. If you keep letting him get away with going through a bunch of different meals he won't stop. Give him a choice, whatever he picks is what he eats, even if he doesn't want to after you have made it. You aren't going to starve him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• OMG. Been there. Luckily my son hasn't done it in a long time but he went through a good year-long stage where he'd ask for something, so I'd give it, he'd refuse it, so I'd take it away and then he'd SCREAM for it back. Holy ish it make me want to chuck him across the room (not literally.....). I think I even posted in here about how to stop it. But I agree with others, his refusal to eat isn't the same as you refusing to feed him. I try to remind that to myself too.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• How do I stop this behavior without being mean and with holding meals?

He had a meal and chose not to eat it, stop at that point. If he throws it out, he chose not to eat it. It's also doesn't hurt to talk to him about wasting food, food costs money, and he just threw away your family's money. He won't starve if he doesn't get his next meal until dinner or breakfast, whatever time it is he has the little tantrum. He's seeing how far he can push you. Just stand firm.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Get "without being mean" out of your head. You're SUPPOSED to be "mean." It's in the interest of raising a civilized adult.

You choose a food. You make the food. He chooses not to eat it, then he goes hungry and learns. As soon as he tossed the hot dogs, game over.

Actually, I'd be more upset that he got so close to the stove. He could have been seriously injured.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Yes, they do. On the upside, as long as you don't cater to it, they stop eventually.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Oh Boy! I have been there! Sometimes my 6 year old still does it. He has a hard time making decisions. So now I anticipate it & say "OK, I am going to make you dinner & you are going to LOVE it!" I just put the thought of loving his dinner in his head & it usually works.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Yep don't cater to him, my mother does with my son(guess its a grandparent thing because she never did with us) and it drives me crazy because he spends extended periods at her house(a couple weeks here and there). So I have to battle with him when he comes home. lol Only takes a day or two but still drives my batty.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Chin up, Mama! All five-year-olds know how to drive their mothers crazy. As for the lunch, you weren't withholding food. What I would have done--two bits worth of free advice since I'm not an expert, just a mom in the trenches with a five-year-old like you--is taken the hot dogs before the kid threw them in the trash, covered the plate with foil, and told him it would be in the fridge if he got hungry. After that, it would be his choice to eat or not, but he wouldn't get to treat your kitchen like a diner.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I am going to rip my hair out and run screaming down the road like an insane person!

I suggest you do just that, then go back after you have collected yourself and stop catering to him....

Answer by older at 3:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2013